[CR] Project Copy Tool (LV 8.0.x)

• 2 months later...

may I ask, who is using it and how it is running?

I would really appreciate some feedback!

Why I made it and how I use it:

I use it, when I start a new project. I have a "Programm Template", which is about ~50 VIs "big", which contains the basic functionality, wich I need in allmost every project:

- queued statemachine consiting of 2 loops, one for the event handling, the second for the states

- database connection

- errorhandling and errorlogging

- some tools like configuration load and save, finding the working path, etc ...

When I start a new project, I copy this "Project Template" with the "Duplicator Tool" to a new folder. This worked very well with LV 7.1, it's a little bit anoying, that i have to create the vilibs and the project hierarchy "by hand" in LV 8, but i hope, I will soon have the time to fix that out, too.

The Duplicator tool has a "Prefix Rename Function", because I use a prefix on every VI-name in the project. For example in the FeXXX Quality Survailance System I use the Prefix FeQSS_, which means, all VIs (except system VIs or VIs from the vi.lib) have these letters before their "real name". e.g. the main VI's name is "FeQSS_main.vi"

When starting a new Release of that Project, I copy the entire Project hierarchy into a new folder (e.g. Source Code R2) with a new prefix (e.g. FeQSSR2_), which enables me, to keep the old and the new VIs open simultanously, if i need to.

The second way to use it, is to extract specific parts of a project and copy it with the entire hierarchy to location with a new prefix.

Please give me some input, and no doubt, I can bear up severe criticism or if you should think, it's useless. [i am a tough guy ;) - SOFTware developer is my second life ;) ]

• 3 months later...

You are my hero! I was in bad need of something like this. My master thesis is due in a couple of days and i had a jungle of files here and there. I could not find any good way of extracting my project so that i could copy it to a cd as a attachment that would work.

Thanks for identifying the problem and doing something with it!

Kyrre

There is also a manual way to duplicate project quite easily. Create a project as you normally do. Then when you want to duplicate the project do the following.

1. Create a new library (lvlib) to the root of your project and add all of your project files to this new library. Save the library for example with name orig_lib.lvlib.

2. Save a copy of the library with Save as... using for example name new_lib.lvlib. A complete copy of the library with name new_lib.lvlib will be made.

3. Create an empty project. Add the new library new_lib.lvlib to the project. Save the new project.

4. In the original project, move all the files from the library new_lib.lvlib to the project root. This will move the files back out of the library. Save all.

5. Do the same thing for the new library. Now you have copy of the project.

There are some bugs in the lvlib implementation of LV 8, so you may experience problems with nested libraries i.e. if you have multiple levels of libraries inside one another.

index.php?automodule=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=5

File Name: Project Copy Tool (LV 8.0.x)

File Submitter: i2dx

File Submitted: 20 Jun 2006

File Updated: 22 Oct 2006

File Category: LabVIEW Development Environment

Purpose: copy a complete VI-Hierarchy of a Project to a new directory starting with the TopLevel VI ...

it works quite good with my projects, and i hope you will find it usefull. please report bugs, if you use it!

Features:

it builds the complete vi-hierarchy starting at the top-level vi

it extracts VIs which are bound to lvlibs when copying to the new folder

it replaces Project - prefixes (i work with project prefixes ...) eg. BMW_MTestV1_Main.vi --> NewProjectPrefix_Main.vi

drawbacks:

it does create lvlibs

it does not create lvproject files

the workaround for the drawbacks are 2 mouseclicks in the project explorer window, so I avoid the work right now ...

known issues:

if you have bound an vi to a lvlib, which does not longer exist, LabVIEW will force you to search the vi --> probably you have to press the "Ignore" butten very often

usage:

copy it to your project directory and call it from the tools-menu with "duplicate project ..."

Click here to download this file

there is a new version ( 1.3.2) availiable in the LAVA Code Repository. I have fixed some minor bugs and I incorporated a new way to get the SubVIs of a VI, as discussed here. Now the tool finds all SubVIs, even those, which are "hidden" in e.g. a Disable Structure.

A hint for the usage:

if you don't use prefixes, simply leave the prefixes listbox empty or delete the "found" prefix.

"When I'm big, I'll become a real manual": ;)

post-885-1151041640.png?width=400

• 1 month later...
there is a new version ( 1.3.2) availiable in the LAVA Code Repository. I have fixed some minor bugs and I incorporated a new way to get the SubVIs of a VI, as discussed here. Now the tool finds all SubVIs, even those, which are "hidden" in e.g. a Disable Structure.

A hint for the usage:

if you don't use prefixes, simply leave the prefixes listbox empty or delete the "found" prefix.

"When I'm big, I'll become a real manual": ;)

post-885-1151041640.png?width=400

A great tool :) I would like to add prefixes but the VIs I am currently working on, some of them have prefixes and some do not. Having the possiblitie to add a prefix without replacing another prefix would be valuable.

A great tool :)

Bjrok, thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it

I would like to add prefixes but the VIs I am currently working on, some of them have prefixes and some do not. Having the possiblitie to add a prefix without replacing another prefix would be valuable.

umpf --- ehm ... I never thought about this case, I have to admit ...

I am currently short on time, but I will try to incorporate that asap - but can't promise anything ...