VI hierarchy

i2dx

Hello everyone,

I've got a question about VI hierarchy. Does anybody know how to easily way generate hierarchy wchich can be included into tree control. Now I'm using callees and callers functions but for 200 vi's in library it takes a while. I found GetVIHierarchySiganture and GetVIHierarchyUserGUID functions (by VI scripting) but to be honest I still can't get how it works.

Thanks in adavance

Hello everyone,

I've got a question about VI hierarchy. Does anybody know how to easily way generate hierarchy wchich can be included into tree control. Now I'm using callees and callers functions but for 200 vi's in library it takes a while. I found GetVIHierarchySiganture and GetVIHierarchyUserGUID functions (by VI scripting) but to be honest I still can't get how it works.

Thanks in adavance

Damian

I take a while to do what? Computing the hierarchy for the 200 VIs or displaying the items in the tree?

It should not take you long to compute a VI hierarchy for just 200 VIs. Your algorithm might be improvable (search on the web and NI website for possible faster algorithm)

If it take too long to update the tree, you can use the defer panel update before you start updating the tree, this will speed thinks up significantly.

In regards to GetVIHierarchySiganture and GetVIHierarchyUserGUID, I never tried these, so I cant help here

PJM

Damian

I take a while to do what? Computing the hierarchy for the 200 VIs or displaying the items in the tree?

It should not take you long to compute a VI hierarchy for just 200 VIs. Your algorithm might be improvable (search on the web and NI website for possible faster algorithm)

If it take too long to update the tree, you can use the defer panel update before you start updating the tree, this will speed thinks up significantly.

In regards to GetVIHierarchySiganture and GetVIHierarchyUserGUID, I never tried these, so I cant help here

PJM

It's just a guess but I have a feeling that the GetVIHierarchy... functions compute a signature of the entire hierarchy such that any changes to any VI in the hierarchy will likely result in a change of the VI hierarchy signature so that a tool can decide if some extra action such as saving (or maybe recompiling) needs to be done. I believe to remember that the signature is supposed to track almost any change to any VI in the hierarchy while the the GUID method is rather meant to only change on real user mods on any VI in the hierarchy.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Hello everyone,

Thanks in adavance

If you know the ini settings you can get to the "Read Linker Info from file" method under the APP class. This is very very fast, however I do not know if it will give you the vi's in the order you want them.

Like PJM said though, the delay is probably more in the tree control update than the hierarchy list function.

• 4 weeks later...