Are there special voice recognition subVI's ?

Hello,

I thought of making an application with voice recognition, but I would save a lot of time if LabVIEW would already provide such code. Is there something like that?

Should be.

cheers

Floating somewhere on NI website is a VI with an embedded ActiveX control that does some voice stuff (I remember it did read text). I dont remember more about it, but this might be a good starting point.

PJM

Hello,

I thought of making an application with voice recognition, but I would save a lot of time if LabVIEW would already provide such code. Is there something like that?

If you're content to run under Windows only, you might want to look into the Microsoft Speech API (SAPI 5.1). There is already a complete framework for creating speech-enabled applications which is exposed through a very extensive set of automation objects and interfaces.

Generating text-to-speech from LabVIEW is pretty trivial. I wrote my first TTS LV application over 5 years ago. Getting speech recognition to work is a good deal more complex, I'll admit I've never tried it. A lot of the complexity depends on whether you want to implement a speaker-independent interface with a very limited vocabulary, or if you need context-free continuous recognition, which requires a training sequence where the recognizer 'learns' a particular human voice.

You might start here.

Good luck and best regards,

Dave

You might want to search both NI DevZone and the Info-LabVIEW archives. Seems I remember that someone used the MS Windows Agent API (complete with the little "Wizard" with the doofus hat) and posted VIs to get you started. That covers Text-to-Speech. I thought that the same threads on IFLV touched on voice recognition.

Here's a couple of the Agent links:

Using ActiveX to Control Microsoft Agent Characters

Usibng MS Agent with LabVIEW tutorial

Here's NI DevZone on Voice Recognition in LabVIEW

Googling on LabVIEW Voice recognition will get you a few papers on the subject as well as a link to your own post asking about it here on LAVA.

You might want to search both NI DevZone and the Info-LabVIEW archives. Seems I remember that someone used the MS Windows Agent API (complete with the little "Wizard" with the doofus hat) and posted VIs to get you started. That covers Text-to-Speech. I thought that the same threads on IFLV touched on voice recognition.

I first started with the MS Agent API way back when I was first trying to incorporate TTS into my LabVIEW app. I got frustrated with it because so much of the API is concerned with drawing little floating genies, wizards, robots, etc, when all I wanted was a voice. As far as I know, Agent is still based on the version 4.0 release of the Speech API, which is at an evolutionary dead end. Bottom line - I would avoid it, and go the SAPI 5.1 route. One caveat - the SAPI 5 full SDK installation is massive, on the order of 500 megabytes. If you can get past that, the redistributables are pretty reasonable in size, and I'm pretty sure that all Windows XP installations come with TTS support and at least one English TTS voice (Microsoft 'Sam', my least-favorite... MS 'Mary' is much clearer). 'Mary' and 'Mike' are available as a freely distributable download.

Of course, the original posting was about speech recognition, so all my blather about TTS is beside the point anyway. :nono:

Dave