Error list empty, or has errors for other VIs

Intermittently, when I click on the broken arrow to find syntax errors I get an empty list! Sometimes the empty list contains broken arrow items from other VIs I have open. Holy mother of God I think it was LabVIEW 2 or 3 or something when I last had to hunt down my mistakes by myself - it is PAINFUL. I have LV 801, first I mass compiled with Jim Kring's mass compiler, then again with the LV mass compiler. I have a new Latitude 610 and I load very little software other than NI and the Microsoft viruses. If I'm the only one, yow.

cc

PS LV 801 still crashing at least once per day, I was at an NI Developer Day last week and it crashed up front on the NI guy.

I have a new Latitude 610 and I load very little software other than NI and the Microsoft viruses. LV 801 still crashing at least once per day
Well I think that's your problem. You've got to stop installing those Microsoft viruses. Heck, if I were you I'd make a point of uninstalling any that you have installed. Everyone knows that Microsoft has a particularly poor record when it comes to producing viruses (though I hear that they have been known to produce code that supports others efforts in this area). :laugh:

Seriously though, I too have seen the broken run arrow and nothing in the error list and this is with v7.1.1 so it's not necessarily something new with v8. I find that I can usually "fix" it by closing and then reopening all the VIs. That'll usually make the errors appear but, if I remember correctly, in at least a couple of cases it made the errors and the broken arrow disappear. I have no idea what causes it.

I have experienced this bug, too, and I have allready informed the NI support. In my case it simply was an empty tunnel on the right side of a while loop, which remained from a "replace with tunnels" operation on a shift register. It's hard to find, because, it's just a little black dot on the dark frame of the while loop and of course, because the error list is empty.

As far as I know there is allready a CAR createt about that bug. BTW: this only happens in LV 8.0.1. I have not checked, if it is still there in 8.0.1 ...

Well I think that's your problem. You've got to stop installing those Microsoft viruses. Heck, if I were you I'd make a point of uninstalling any that you have installed. Everyone knows that Microsoft has a particularly poor record when it comes to producing viruses (though I hear that they have been known to produce code that supports others efforts in this area). :laugh:

Seriously though, I too have seen the broken run arrow and nothing in the error list and this is with v7.1.1 so it's not necessarily something new with v8. I find that I can usually "fix" it by closing and then reopening all the VIs. That'll usually make the errors appear but, if I remember correctly, in at least a couple of cases it made the errors and the broken arrow disappear. I have no idea what causes it.

At least for LabVIEW 7.1 and earlier where this happens there is a simple fix. Press the Shift key and click on the Run arrow. This will force a recompile of the VI and cause LabVIEW to reevaluate the status of the VI.

This error I have mostly seen with ActiveX, some .Net nodes and with Call Library Nodes. Sometimes the path in the CLN for instance doesn't match so LabVIEW can't load the DLL but other VIs using the same DLL have a good path and load it later on anyhow. LabVIEW then seems to have a problem sometimes to go back and update the status of those VIs that had already been loaded with a missing DLL link. Pressing the broken run arrow alone only will show the error dialog that correctly does not show any errors for the VI, but the broken arrow will only go away by a recompile.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 2 weeks later...