TTY

crelf

I have an application that I am trying to automate the has a manual step using MTTY.exe to communicate over a serial port to a product. Does anyone know if this TTY communication can be replaced by all LabVIEW code or a call to other software? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Terrill

I agree!

Added note:

TTY was an abrieviation for "TeleTYpe" as in ASR-33 the old mechanical "tele-typewriter".

The oldest ones may only have used 7-bit encoding.

Ben

Oh yeah, Baby! My first programming experience was on something that was very much like one of these (if not exactly this) in some form of Basic. Used to have some of those puched tape roles for programs. Later, cassette tapes were so much more convenient, and a 30 to 60 minute tape could hold LOTS of programs.

I don't really miss them, though...

-Pete Liiva

TTY was an abrieviation for "TeleTYpe" as in ASR-33 the old mechanical "tele-typewriter".

The oldest ones may only have used 7-bit encoding.

Let's go even farther back. The oldest Teletypes with which I'm acquainted used a 5-bit encoding called Baudot (pronounced appropriately as the French inventor's surname). With only 32 possible combinations, this required that two bit patterns, designated 'LTRS' and 'FIGS', were used to shift the machine between two interpretations of all subsequent characters. Was widely in use during WW II - I remember my father had a rolled-up spool of punched tape which was a transcript of a letter he'd sent to his older sister, who was serving elsewhere in the armed forces at the time. In the 70's (my teen years), I had a computer instructor who wrote some PDP-8 assembler to read the tape on an 8-bit reader (anybody remember device "PTR:"?), and translate the codes for printing.

Sorry for all the archeological diversion...

Best regards,

Dave

Don't apologize - that's a cool story!

Not only that, but it seems that the "old Timers" should share this ancient history info before it is lost forever.

Case in point.

The image that Pete linked is indeed an ASR-33.

I noticed a small red button in the cover plate on the right hand side above the "Off-Local-Remote" switch.

If that switch is the same as what we used, it is a momentary SPST normally closed switch that was in series with the serial line. By pressing that switch, the line would be opened up (broken) to get the computers attention. The operation of that switch lives on today as the "Break".

Ben

...The image that Pete linked is indeed an ASR-33.

I noticed a small red button in the cover plate on the right hand side above the "Off-Local-Remote" switch.

If that switch is the same as what we used, it is a momentary SPST normally closed switch that was in series with the serial line. By pressing that switch, the line would be opened up (broken) to get the computers attention. The operation of that switch lives on today as the "Break".

Little bits of lore like this are fun to learn. Amazing the enertia (or is it amber) that surrounds some of these fossilized gems. Your tail of the break reminded me of hearing about how we got the standard distance between railroad rails. Internet rumor says it dates all the way back to Roman chariot wheels. (that internet rumor would be false, by the way, but it evokes tha same "aha!" feeling of having discovered a gem among the junk).