LV 8.20 application builder custom icon bug

thols

I tried to build an exe-file in LV 8.20 with my own icon. When I select my own icon, then exit the application builder screen, the project window hangs. LabVIEW does not hang completely, but the project window stops responding. This is confirmed on two PCs it doesn't seem to matter what icon I use .

recreate bug like this:

1. Create a new project and save it.

2. Add an icon to the project.

3. Create a Build specification: Application (EXE)

4. Deselect "Use the default LabVIEw icon file" and browse for your own icon in the project.

5. Notice that the standard icon is still visible in the preview and not your icon.

6. Click OK on the "My Application Properties" window. LabVIEW project window no longer responds.

When I was verifying this for the tenth time, suddenly it worked, the icon preview immediately changed to my custom icon and the project window did not hang. But the next four times I tried, it did hang.

I'm attaching a zip-file with icon and project.

I just reported this to NI.

Download File:post-2740-1156251298.zip

I tried to build an exe-file in LV 8.20 with my own icon. When I select my own icon, then exit the application builder screen, the project window hangs. LabVIEW does not hang completely, but the project window stops responding. This is confirmed on two PCs it doesn't seem to matter what icon I use .

recreate bug like this:

1. Create a new project and save it.

2. Add an icon to the project.

3. Create a Build specification: Application (EXE)

4. Deselect "Use the default LabVIEw icon file" and browse for your own icon in the project.

5. Notice that the standard icon is still visible in the preview and not your icon.

6. Click OK on the "My Application Properties" window. LabVIEW project window no longer responds.

When I was verifying this for the tenth time, suddenly it worked, the icon preview immediately changed to my custom icon and the project window did not hang. But the next four times I tried, it did hang.

I'm attaching a zip-file with icon and project.

I just reported this to NI.

I could not reproduce this BUG with any of my icon files or yours. it worked just fine every time.

I could not reproduce this BUG with any of my icon files or yours. it worked just fine every time.

Thanks for testing the maybe-not-bug. I tried again and this time it works every time on both computers every time! Really weird :blink: . When I found the maybe-not-bug I verified this after restart, on two computers and at least ten times and with different icon files and new and old project files. It must have been something interfering with our systems or so. The only thing I can think of is that Windows have automatically installed updates since I tested this the last time.

So, this is probably not a bug and I'm happy, but if someone gets the same issue please reply.

Thanks for testing the maybe-not-bug. I tried again and this time it works every time on both computers every time! Really weird :blink: . When I found the maybe-not-bug I verified this after restart, on two computers and at least ten times and with different icon files and new and old project files. It must have been something interfering with our systems or so. The only thing I can think of is that Windows have automatically installed updates since I tested this the last time.

So, this is probably not a bug and I'm happy, but if someone gets the same issue please reply.

Hi,

I believe, I had this happen to me once or twice (but on LV 8.01). A restart of LV did fix the issue.

PJM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This just happened to me as well. Never had this problem until I changed the .ico file in my project. Now every time I try to change from the default icon, the project explorer locks completely, and I have to end task to restart. From what I inderstand, LabVIEW didn't lockup like this for the rest of you? Am I the first to have it completely lock up like this? Is this new bug behaviour that I should bring to NI's attention?

Thanks!

John

QUOTE(JohnRH @ Mar 16 2007, 12:34 PM)

This just happened to me as well. Never had this problem until I changed the .ico file in my project. Now every time I try to change from the default icon, the project explorer locks completely, and I have to end task to restart. From what I inderstand, LabVIEW didn't lockup like this for the rest of you? Am I the first to have it completely lock up like this? Is this new bug behaviour that I should bring to NI's attention?

Thanks!

John

There was a reported issue (42UGCF3E) where double-clicking in the dialog that lets you select an icon file would cause LabVIEW to hang. I don't know if that is the root of the problem or not but just passing that along. There has not been a report of LabVIEW hanging from just unchecking the user default icon checkbox.

QUOTE(gmart @ Mar 16 2007, 02:00 PM)

There was a reported issue (42UGCF3E) where double-clicking in the dialog that lets you select an icon file would cause LabVIEW to hang. I don't know if that is the root of the problem or not but just passing that along. There has not been a report of LabVIEW hanging from just unchecking the user default icon checkbox.

This is it! If I select the icon file then click OK rather than double clicking the icon file, it works without locking.

Thanks!

John

QUOTE(JohnRH @ Mar 16 2007, 11:21 AM)

This is it! If I select the icon file then click OK rather than double clicking the icon file, it works without locking.

Thanks!

John

Arggghhh!!!

Glad to see that it wasn't just me. I spent considerable time on this one with NI tech support. Never got anywhere. They wanted me to reinstall LabVIEW and Windows, and I couldn't afford the time. In my case, it locked up LV completely after selecting a custom icon, but not until I closed the build dialog. So I could build the project with the custom icon, but I could never save the project with the custom icon! I never did find the work-around of hitting OK instead of double-clicking the icon in the file dialog. I guess I'm a slave to habit...

Dave T.