Monitoring software

zero-tolerance

Hi, I know this might not me the right place to post this but I've used this forum before and I got great help from it.

I just need to know if there are any programs or softwares to monitor the GPIB pins, i.e. for serial port or RS232 there is this program called PORTMON that monitor all trafic that happens in the RS232 of the computer, but is ther anything of similar sort for the GPIB.

Thanks in advanced.

Hi, I know this might not me the right place to post this but I've used this forum before and I got great help from it.

I just need to know if there are any programs or softwares to monitor the GPIB pins, i.e. for serial port or RS232 there is this program called PORTMON that monitor all trafic that happens in the RS232 of the computer, but is ther anything of similar sort for the GPIB.

Thanks in advanced.

Not an inexpensive solution, but if you need a true GPIB analyzer (a non-participating device that captures bus activity between other devices), NI has the PCI-GPIB+ board. (The '+' denotes the analysis capabilities).

If you only want to trace GPIB activity between your own LV code and one or more GPIB devices, you can do this with the NI-Spy application which comes standard with an installation of NI-VISA, NI-GPIB, MAX, etc. You can set it to capture different levels of calls and returns.

Hope this helps.

Dave

I was looking for one of the PCI-GPIB+ analyzer boards for myself on eBay for some time.

Be advised that some GPIB boards are posted there as the plus models, but only because the silkscreening on the board says GPIB/GPIB+.

Some versions of the GPIB and GPIB+ are the same basic board, but the plus has one extra ASIC. The real plus boards are less common, and generally sell for twice the price. Do your homework if you start shopping the auction sites :book:

Thanks in advanced.

hmm ... if you want to monitor the electical signals? -> then I would use a M-Series DAQ Board and some custom made connectivity (which brings the signals to a TTL Level) and log the data with the DIOs of the Board. Why M-Series? -> the DIOs a really fast! and depending on the bus-speed you have to logg really fast. I tried this once with RS232 and it worked. It was - in a way - cute to see the Data on the bus ...

If you want to monitor the data, then I'd buy an USB GPIB-HS (I have one, and like it ...) and use NI Spy, as David said.

CB