Format codes for special handling of NaN?

David Boyd

Hello all-

Was having this discussion with my coworker today, and he swears he saw a clever example of this somewhere - the task at hand is to convert doubles to strings for eventual display in a table. I regularly use NaN to indicate lack of a measured value, and I was lamenting all the extra nodes it takes, to test for isNaN?, then a select node, and an empty string constant, just to suppress the 'NaN' text, which is meaningless to my end users. Plus, while I want to format multiple doubles into a row of the table, I can't use an expandable Format Into String node if I need to do this testing and selecting.

So, is there some undocumented format code to conditionally format an NaN? Or is he confusing this with Excel's conditional formatting?

Best regards,

Dave

post-195-1158118907.png?width=400

Why not use the Search and Replace?

(Insert head-smack noise here.) Doh!

Michael, sometimes the obvious solution just doesn't occur to me... This method looks to be clean and 100% reliable - after all, NaN always gets converted to the string "NaN", so it's a cinch to do the fixup in the string.

Thanks a bunch!

Dave