Sending images to LCD display

vinafu

Hi,

I need help for solve some problems with a crystal display LCD. I need to open and send diferent images to the LCD with intervals of time.

Other question is how can i send only the image because in the desktop i have running the front panel of labview script.

The LCD is designed to be plugged to the graphics board of a personal computer and can be plugged using the serial RS-232 port.

http://www.holoeye.com/spatial_light_modulator_lc_2002.html

V

I agree that that *looks* like a 9 pin serial port, but the documentation clearly says that it functions as a standard monitor, so I would expect that you would have a cable to connect it to the same place your monitor is connected to.

As for how to make the panel fill the screen, go to File>>VI Settings and go into Window Size and Window Appearance.

I believe you would need a computer with dual video outputs, or two computers; one for LabVIEW and the other as the video source. I'm guessing from the description of the device that the RS232 interface is via the telephone style jack.

If you've got a reasonably new computer, you should be able to place a second video card in it, or buy a dual-head controller to replace the one you have. If you want to control the output device with LabVIEW, you may have to ask for an API; the vendor seems to offer some sort of Phase-CAM software that allows you to control the instrument. You can look for drivers on the NI web site, but I'm guessing they won't exist.

• 3 weeks later...
The crystal display LCD works perfectly when I connect it to the VGA graphic card, the computer monitor to the same graphic card but in the DVI connector and I use the original software.

You can open the image files you have using the graphics VIs that come with LabVIEW, and then display them in a picture indicator. I still think where getting hung up on the hardware here: are you using a separate video card to dispplay your extended desktop? If you really really don't want to do that, you can always get a video generator from NI (a lot more $ than an extra VGA card, but they work perfectly), but I'm not convinced that's what you need. Can you describe what it is your actually trying to do? Rather than saying "I want to display an image on a screen", tell us about the project from a higher level...

• 3 weeks later...
You can open the image files you have using the graphics VIs that come with LabVIEW, and then display them in a picture indicator. I still think where getting hung up on the hardware here: are you using a separate video card to dispplay your extended desktop? If you really really don't want to do that, you can always get a video generator from NI (a lot more $ than an extra VGA card, but they work perfectly), but I'm not convinced that's what you need. Can you describe what it is your actually trying to do? Rather than saying "I want to display an image on a screen", tell us about the project from a higher level...

Think i have more or less the same problem, i would like to send/display an image on the lcd display. This image will be used as a mask. So we would like to display the image full-screen borderless, no titlebar etc. on the lcd display. Think of it as running in 'game-mode' or playing a movie on your normal monitor. The image will have to be updated during the measurement, so for that we will probably use a matrix. But so far i havent figured out yet on how make this full-screen display yet.

Read Post #2.

thanks i indeed missed that :)

Now i just need to find out how to run two windows at once. I know this all is very trivial, but i havent used labview very long. At the moment i'm mainly trying out differnt sets of software to find out which one will be best suited for my purpose. I would like to run 1 fullscreen window on the lcd and in the meantime have a smaller version of that running (and controls for that) on my desktop monitor.

Have to say that labview is looking promising so far, at least the image load times are much faster than with matlab.

Cheers

Peter

thanks i indeed missed that :)

Now i just need to find out how to run two windows at once. I know this all is very trivial, but i havent used labview very long. At the moment i'm mainly trying out differnt sets of software to find out which one will be best suited for my purpose. I would like to run 1 fullscreen window on the lcd and in the meantime have a smaller version of that running (and controls for that) on my desktop monitor.

Hi pdzoon,

have a look here

showing a screenshot of positioning a panel (fullscreen) on a different window

Ton