Crelf - Top poster

it's my personal crusade to get the top 10 to all become Preimum Members :) C'mon guys - you know you wanna!
Well, that particular cookie jar was placed at a demanding 500 posts until Mike Ashe reached it and Michael moved the bar. Perhaps after I reach that bar I shall consider the other method of achieving it.
Well, that particular cookie jar was placed at a demanding 500 posts until Mike Ashe reached it and Michael moved the bar. Perhaps after I reach that bar I shall consider the other method of achieving it.

:wacko: So you're waiting until you get a free Premium Membership before you'll pay for a Premium Membership?

All ready there, mate!

post-949-1165407763.gif?width=400

Sigh, I did a search in the Members section, and noticed that there are only 34 individuals who have signed up :( Out of approximately 5,400 members :o

I was reading the "Creating Passionate Users" blog the other day, and it made me think of LAVA. The entry is called "How to Build a User Community, Part 1"

I would say that most of the points made are already in place on LAVA, although we do poke the homework hustlers and newbies for not showing a minimum of effort (such as a Google Search or providing some example code). The only obvious thing that seems lacking is the number of answerers. Maybe an automatic 90 day premium membership for reaching 100 posts would make the nice things more tangible, and get people to sign up as premium members...

:wacko: So you're waiting until you get a free Premium Membership before you'll pay for a Premium Membership?

hmm ... I would not expect everyone to become a premium member. IMHO Premium Membership is not intended to make MichaelA ritch, but raising the funds to operate this site!?

IMHO Premium Membership is not intended to make MichaelA ritch, but raising the funds to operate this site!?

I totally agree, and although I don't know the numbers, I'd suggest that LAVA is probably in the red at the moment. Every buck counts, so even those who aren't up for a Premium Membership, you can always donate whatever you can afford to keep LAVA up and running. I don't think it should be up to Mike asking for support, I think it should be a proactive thing: if you feel like you're getting something out of LAVA, why not thrown in a few bucks to help keep it alive?

Every buck counts, so even those who aren't up for a Premium Membership, you can always donate whatever you can afford to keep LAVA up and running.

Perhaps I should consider premium membership. I wonder if accountants at my work accept Paypal payments as official expenses, I doubt they do. I expect that direct credit card payments will not be available in the near future.

Perhaps I should consider premium membership. I wonder if accountants at my work accept Paypal payments as official expenses, I doubt they do. I expect that direct credit card payments will not be available in the near future.

I'm pretty sure you can use your credit card through paypal to make a payment without it actually being a PayPal thingy - that's how I did it for the LAVA/OpenG NI-Week BBQ... Check out the PayPal site for details.

PayPal is the payment processor for LAVA however you don't HAVE to have a Paypal membership. At the bottom of the PayPal processing page it gives you the option to use a credit card of your choice. I'm not sure if this is available in all countries.

Premium membership is a way to get some additional features, indicate your support to the community and give the contribution a name so accounting can reimburse you. If, after getting a membership, you feel that you want to contribute more, click on the donate button and enter the amount of your choice.

My goal for next year is to get enough funding to support a dedicated server. This will provide more bandwidth and eliminate the downtime that occurs about once a week (server reboot fixes this right now).

post-2-1165599302.png?width=400

My goal for next year is to get enough funding to support a dedicated server. This will provide more bandwidth and eliminate the downtime that occurs about once a week (server reboot fixes this right now).

I wouldn't mind a banner ad if this means that helps to keep LAVA up and running. If the banner ads were LabVIEW specific, this could also be a good way for LabVIEW software companies to market their toolkits etc.

I wouldn't mind a banner ad if this means that helps to keep LAVA up and running. If the banner ads were LabVIEW specific, this could also be a good way for LabVIEW software companies to market their toolkits etc.
I am not ruling out banner ads. In fact, I have been experimenting with this to see how it can fit into LAVA. I am considering banner ads for normal members and hiding them for Premium Members.
I am not ruling out banner ads. In fact, I have been experimenting with this to see how it can fit into LAVA. I am considering banner ads for normal members and hiding them for Premium Members.

If you are considering LabVIEW related banner ads, I may be willing to see them. So put there an option for premium members to show/hide the banner ads.