Another liscensing question

BrokenArrow

I have a "friend" who uses LV 8.2 at work. He wants to take it home and install it there as well, perhaps on two computers because this bloke never knows which one will be available to him (he has a kid).

He has premission from his boss to take home the CD's. The NI liscense says his copy is good for three different computer installs. This number has been reached at work. Will it install at my, I mean his home? This new internet mandated install stuff with 8.2 has him worried. ;)

Thanks,

Richard

p.s. liscense is very hard to spell

QUOTE(BrokenArrow @ Feb 26 2007, 11:11 AM)

I have a "friend" who uses LV 8.2 at work. He wants to take it home and install it there as well, perhaps on two computers because this bloke never knows which one will be available to him (he has a kid).

He has premission from his boss to take home the CD's. The NI liscense says his copy is good for three different computer installs. This number has been reached at work. Will it install at my, I mean his home? This new internet mandated install stuff with 8.2 has him worried. ;)

Thanks,

Richard

NI has said they would treat this sort of thing as within the intent of the license agreement. But the lawyers wanted a line laid down.

I am in a situation similar to "your friend." There is no one here who is going to use LV that doesn't have a license of their own. If I have to be strict about where the development system is installed, then I am going to need to go to a lot of extra trouble deleting it and reinstalling it to keep the numbers right, or I have to buy extra seats that will never be used. NI have said this is not their intent. You can ask your local rep to get it in writing if you think that is needed to keep your IT/SOX folks happy. It would only be fair to be willing to show the local app eng around you place as a show of good faith. An ongoing relationship with the app eng couldn't hurt.

If you find out it isn't they way I say, I would like to hear about it.

Mike

QUOTE(BrokenArrow @ Feb 26 2007, 08:11 AM)

Richard: I agree with Mike. I think you'll be OK. Talk to your local sales reps and see what they say. They are the ones who will be losing a potential sale, but 99.9% of the time they will want you to be a happy and faithful customer :) It's just good business sense.

Richard,

For years, it has been NI's policy that it was acceptable (even "legal", as I understand it), to install LV at home. I believe this is still true after the licensing changes that came out with 8.x. I think the intent was to allow people to learn LV by using it at home, but that it wouldn't be appropriate to use it for monentary gain. I'm not an NI employee, so my comments certainly shouldn't be considered official. In any case, I agree with the previous response that the best thing to do is check with your local rep.

Regards,

Dave T.

QUOTE(BrokenArrow @ Feb 26 2007, 09:11 AM)

Thanks,

Richard

From what I remember, I believe that legally you can install a single labview liscense on up to 3 machines. I believe these 3 machines are intended to be development machine, laptop and a computer at home. I also believe that the intended function of them is that they are used exclusively of each other. Now that being said, I doubt any sales rep is going to mind anything relatively close as long as its not being used to allow other developers in your business to develop from a single liscense.

Just my 2 cents, but if it's going to be installed on a home pc to increase your labview coding skills then I don't think anyone's gonna be filing a lawsuit against ya :shifty:

Dave

QUOTE(Dave Graybeal @ Feb 26 2007, 11:20 AM)

From what I remember, I believe that legally you can install a single labview liscense on up to 3 machines. I believe these 3 machines are intended to be development machine, laptop and a computer at home. I also believe that the intended function of them is that they are used exclusively of each other. Now that being said, I doubt any sales rep is going to mind anything relatively close as long as its not being used to allow other developers in your business to develop from a single liscense.

Just my 2 cents, but if it's going to be installed on a home pc to increase your labview coding skills then I don't think anyone's gonna be filing a lawsuit against ya :shifty:

Dave

My understanding is that the three computers can all be at work, as long as you are only using one at a time. The installation at home is separate and existed before the change to the 3-computer installation.

Dave T.

QUOTE(dthomson @ Feb 26 2007, 10:35 AM)

My understanding is that the three computers can all be at work, as long as you are only using one at a time. The installation at home is separate and existed before the change to the 3-computer installation.

Dave T.

Hi guys,

I had talked to my sales rep a while back on this.. what you can do is install on all the machines you might need to use it on, then activate the one you are using, and if you are going to switch to another machine then the Licence Mgr has the option to "de-activate" a licence for the time you are not using that machine.

Neville.

Thanks for the replies. This all sounds in line with what I heard back at version 6.1, but I was unsure if the attitude at NI had changed as of 8.0. It only makes sense that we'll take work home, it's not two separate developers making $$ on one liscense, etc etc.

Over the years it's been my friend's habit that he does real "work" at work, and makes VI's "pretty" at home. I can't think that NI would have an issue with that (although my wife and son might) :shifty:I mean my friend's wife and son.

Richard

p.s. I'll let you know if I hit a snag

QUOTE(John Rouse @ Feb 27 2007, 12:39 PM)

Three machines plus one home machine

A Total of four machines are legal as long as there is only one backside sitting in any of the chairs

as it is being used ;)

I know cause I just inquired with my sales rep.

And it is flexible if you talk to them about it. Or I want to hear that it has changed, because it makes a big differnce to me.

QUOTE(BrokenArrow @ Feb 26 2007, 05:11 PM)

Thanks,

Richard

NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

6. Home Usage Exception. Notwithstanding anything in this Agreement to the contrary, if you are a business or other entity, the designated Named User for (or in the case of single seat license, the primary user of the single computer on which the SOFTWARE is installed and used under) the applicable license may also install and use the SOFTWARE on one (1) computer located in such user's home; provided the use of the SOFTWARE on such home computer is limited to work performed in the scope of such person's employment with you and further provided such person promptly deletes the SOFTWARE from the home computer upon the termination of his or her employment with you or termination of this Agreement (whichever is earlier).

QUOTE(martin@aerodynamics @ Feb 28 2007, 03:55 AM)

NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

6. Home Usage Exception. Notwithstanding anything in this Agreement to the contrary, if you are a business or other entity, the designated Named User for (or in the case of single seat license, the primary user of the single computer on which the SOFTWARE is installed and used under) the applicable license may also install and use the SOFTWARE on one (1) computer located in such user's home; provided the use of the SOFTWARE on such home computer is limited to work performed in the scope of such person's employment with you and further provided such person promptly deletes the SOFTWARE from the home computer upon the termination of his or her employment with you or termination of this Agreement (whichever is earlier).

Good 'fo, thanks so much. :rolleyes: :worship: :thumbup: