LabVIEW and Java

I am trying to build an application for a home automation module (control lights, climate, etc) using java to implement the main application. Obviously Java is a bad choice for sending and receiving data to the module, so I have done some research and it appears that LabVIEW is one of the best options when it comes to testing and implementation for devices like this module that uses a serial port to comunicate with my computer.

Now, my question is, will I be able to use labview to send and receive data to and from my Java application? In other words, will I be able to interface LabVIEW with my Java application? It appears that appletiew let's you create java applets for the execution of LabVIEW modules but I don't think that is what I am really looking for.

Perhaps my question is not 100% clear, if so please let me know so that I can try to rephrase it.

Thank you, Vittorio

QUOTE(vitt0ri0 @ Mar 15 2007, 06:49 PM)

I am trying to build an application for a home automation module (control lights, climate, etc) using java to implement the main application. Obviously Java is a bad choice for sending and receiving data to the module, so I have done some research and it appears that LabVIEW is one of the best options when it comes to testing and implementation for devices like this module that uses a serial port to comunicate with my computer.

Now, my question is, will I be able to use labview to send and receive data to and from my Java application? In other words, will I be able to interface LabVIEW with my Java application? It appears that appletiew let's you create java applets for the execution of LabVIEW modules but I don't think that is what I am really looking for.

Perhaps my question is not 100% clear, if so please let me know so that I can try to rephrase it.

Thank you, Vittorio

You can build a DLL from your LabVIEW VIs and then call these DLLs via Java Native Interface. It would be easier to code your whole application again in LabVIEW. Microsoft .NET communicates with LabVIEW in much better way than JAVA as you can create callbacks from .NET to LabVIEW. If I were you I would either code your application complitely in LabVIEW or alternatively in .NET and interface .NET with LabVIEW using event callbacks. There is also a fourth option of using one of the commercial software proxies between JAVA and .NET and integrate your JAVA code with .NET code and then .NET code with LabVIEW.

Tomi

The best way to interface Java and LabVIEW is a client/server type application. Java-Client, LabVIEW-Server.

Obviously Java is a bad choice for sending and receiving data to the module, so I have done some research and it appears that LabVIEW is one of the best options when it comes to testing and implementation for devices like this module that uses a serial port to comunicate with my computer.

Two questions, one comment:

1: Why is it a bad idea to talk to your module in Java if you are only communicating serially?

2: If you communicating serially to your modules then what benefit is LabVIEW going to provide over any other language?

Just stick to one language if you can and avoid complication of introducing multiple languages.