How did your 8.2.1 upgrade go?

Here's another thing that I've noticed. EXEs built in LabVIEW 8.2.1 must have the 8.2.1 Run Time Engine (RTE) installed -- the 8.2 RTE will not support 8.2.1 EXEs. Based on past experience, EXEs built in LabVIEW 8.2 should work with the 8.2.1 RTE.

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ May 3 2007, 03:00 PM)

.....EXEs built in LabVIEW 8.2.1 must have the 8.2.1 Run Time Engine (RTE) installed.....

Good to know. On aside: I've often wondered why NI deosn't provide the LVRTE on a separate disk (and for the extra money for the app builder, that doesn't seem like a lot to ask).

My upgrade was easy, and the mass compile feature works well (my projects average 300 VI's not including labview VI's). All my settings and stuff carried through just fine.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting error 1401 when trying to read datalogs that I created in 8.20.

"Error 1401 occurred at Read Datalog in SG.lvlib:toplevel_read_datalog.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: Attempted to read flattened data of a LabVIEW class. The version of the class currently in memory is older than the version of the data. You must find a newer version of the class to load this data."

What the ...?

QUOTE(torekp @ Jun 6 2007, 06:50 AM)

I'm getting error 1401 when trying to read datalogs that I created in 8.20.

"Error 1401 occurred at Read Datalog in SG.lvlib:toplevel_read_datalog.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: Attempted to read flattened data of a LabVIEW class. The version of the class currently in memory is older than the version of the data. You must find a newer version of the class to load this data."

What the ...?

That would be the version of the class file itself, not the version of LabVIEW. Be careful not to confuse these two version numbers.

LV8.2 has annoying behavior that frequently (but not always, which while still wrong would at least be less annoying) when you build a class into a built app, the version of the class in the built app has its version bumped and is no longer the same as the version used in the dev system. So one place that you might encounter the error you posted is when trying to use a built DLL in the development system. Your dev system has class version 1.0.0.0, and the class in the built DLL is version 1.0.0.1. When data tries to pass from the DLL to the dev system, the dev system doesn't know how to handle the data -- the data is from a version of the class that the dev system doesn't know about. (Data can pass from the dev system to the DLL because the 1.0.0.1 version has instructions for how to load and mutate old version of the data -- in this case, no mutation is necessary because the data types are actually identical, but the dev system has no way of knowing that fact when it tries to unflatten 1.0.0.1 data).

The use of classes in built apps has been hammered inside NI over the last couple months and there'll be significant improvements in the next full version of LV released. For now, there are a number of posts on DevZone and here that may help you figure out a workaround now.

You should probably move this post over to the GOOP forum and have a separate thread. Various folks on that forum may be able to suggest a workaround for you. It's a definite tangent from this thread on 8.2 vs 8.2.1.