Using pictures in your application (exe)

FWIW, I genrally just drag and drop a picture onto the front panel or into a picture ring - i.e. I never load it with a picture drawing tool.

thanks,

Richard

:beer:

QUOTE(BrokenArrow @ Apr 9 2007, 09:20 AM)

I have noticed that, when building apps (exe's) in LabVIEW that use pictures (say, BMP's in a picture ring and a few JPG's for decoration), the picture files do not need to be mentioned in the build spec or even included on the target computer. My question is, where did these files go? Should I include the BMP's and JPG's in the distribution?

No, the picture is stored as a decoration inside the VI (by value, not by reference).

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Apr 9 2007, 01:11 PM)

No, the picture is stored as a decoration inside the VI (by value, not by reference).

That's very neat. I don't recall C++ or Basic being that friendly with regards to inclusion of graphics files. I guess my method of just keeping my BMP's in a development folder for the occasional edit or inclusion in another VI is valid then, i.e. without any real "linkage" to the VI they were originally put in.

Thanks Jim.

Richard

QUOTE(BrokenArrow @ Apr 9 2007, 07:26 PM)

That's very neat. I don't recall C++ or Basic being that friendly with regards to inclusion of graphics files.

You don't recall it because those other languages aren't that friendly to graphics files. ;-)

One of the neater parts of LV, IMHO, is to be able to make a block diagram constant of a picture. Read the .png file into a picture indicator. Now change that indicator to a constant. Easy as anything. ;-)

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Apr 10 2007, 01:18 AM)

You don't recall it because those other languages aren't that friendly to graphics files. ;-)

One of the neater parts of LV, IMHO, is to be able to make a block diagram constant of a picture. Read the .png file into a picture indicator. Now change that indicator to a constant. Easy as anything. ;-)

Great idea. I've pasted things like pictures of equipment, wiring dograms or connectors, etc, and always wondered when the file would go *poof* - but it never does.

Of course, don't knock C too much... after all, what was LV written in? ;)

QUOTE(BrokenArrow @ Apr 10 2007, 04:05 PM)

Of course, don't knock C too much... after all, what was LV written in? ;)

But if you give us enough time, it'll be written in G. We've been pushing that direction for a long time now. The entire Project interface is G. The LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT uses a version of LV -- and the entire compiler for the LEGO brick is written in G. It can be done...