Hi everyone

Hi, I'm new member of this forum. I'm software test engineer mostly involved in embedded applications testing and I'm looking forward to implement automated testing for my company products. I've been using LabView for about a year. So far I've done with several control testing tools using LabView 8.20 and PXI with AO, DIO and Switch boards. I don't have to much time for this right now because I'm 100% busy with test docs update :wacko: and my automation activity is always treated as "minor, in your spare time" :headbang: I'm the only enthusiast of LabView in my company. What else, I've passed LabView Intermediate courses and prepare myself for CLAD exam.

• 1 month later...

Welcome aboard skof!

If you show a few really good successes with LabVIEW projects you will eventually attract some other people in your company, it almost always happens. Unfortunately it sometimes also occurs that you develop some very sharp detractors who are threatened by your success and their lack of understanding of LabVIEW. I hope you find this forum as friendly and useful as I have found LAVA and Info-LabVIEW before it.

By the way, on your PXI, are you happening to be using LabVIEW RT?

QUOTE(Mike Ashe @ Jun 14 2007, 09:26 AM)

If you show a few really good successes with LabVIEW projects you will eventually attract some other people in your company, it almost always happens ...

Exactly. That happened to me during my first LV success story. I was the only person in the organization who took the time to learn LV and actually try to use it. The tech in the lab next to mine was so impressed he learned LV and was writing his own code in a few weeks. It was out of necessity: we were working in a medical manufacturing company R&D lab and had to run hundreds of repetitive tests. LV handled automating these tests quite well. Management was very impressed. And the engineers LOVED getting their data from the server instead of transcribing it from my lab notebook. :)

• 11 months later...

Hi all

Just to say hi to everyone, I thought that joining a comunity like this may well be what my labview skills or lack of need !

I am from an embedded programing background using C & assembler and am now realising the potential of Labview for data aquisition & control.

I have got to grips with all the main features of labview but I have one big stumbling block that I just have not yet cracked. I can create Vi's & sub Vi's to perform calculations and produce results BUT I cannot get to grips with pulling these together into a usable user interface apart from placing everything inside a while loop which often I cannot stop using a button.

Once this has been solved then I should be able to make fast progression into producing complete programs.

all the best Roy

Search LV Help for the Event Structure.

It is located: Functions Palette>>Structures>>Event Structure.

This is the best structure for handling GUI's.

On a side note, having just said that, if you use LV embedded, you will most likely now and then, revert back to the old school style/design-pattern of polling a cluster of booleans, converting the cluster to an array and searching for a TRUE and handling it with a nested case structure. This is because you cannot use the event structure under RTOS. You will use this method if you use a user interface thread to setup front panel communication with your embedded code (this is usually only done in development phase to help with debugging as it is non deterministic).

The benefit of the event cluster is that it handles an event only when an events occurs therefore, the system is not continually polling wasting resources.

QUOTE (spectric @ May 29 2008, 03:03 PM)

Hi all

Just to say hi to everyone, I thought that joining a comunity like this may well be what my labview skills or lack of need !

I am from an embedded programing background using C & assembler and am now realising the potential of Labview for data aquisition & control.

I have got to grips with all the main features of labview but I have one big stumbling block that I just have not yet cracked. I can create Vi's & sub Vi's to perform calculations and produce results BUT I cannot get to grips with pulling these together into a usable user interface apart from placing everything inside a while loop which often I cannot stop using a button.

Once this has been solved then I should be able to make fast progression into producing complete programs.

all the best Roy

Does the code inside the while loop run fast? If yes, you might need to put a small delay into the while, say 10-100 ms. Otherwise you can get a nonresponsive user interface.

Hello Roy,

Welcome to the LAVA community.

You'll find that the level of LabVIEW awareness is pretty high here. Some will call it a good signal-to-noise ratio... Having been around for a short while, I can certainly testify that these pages are addictive!

Hope you find lots of good things to improve your skills.

Welcome!

You will definitely find a lot of useful information here just by searching through the existing forum archives. As you'll find, there are many LabVIEW enthusiasts that hang out here that are more than willing to let you pick their brain ;)