Recording and re-generating RS 232 signal

Hi all,

I'd like to record a RS 232 signal to disk so as to be able to regenerate it (to simulate a device), the RS 232 speed is 57600 Baud.

I read that I should over-sample at least 16x if I go for a Analog Input board because RS needs steep rising edges.

Has anybody ever done something similar ? Does it work ?

I have never used HS DIO (655x or 656x series), maybe this would be more appropriated to record and regenerate an RS 232 signal ?

Any comment, ideas, though or orientation will be very appriciated, thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(TiT @ May 29 2007, 11:09 AM)

Hi all,

I'd like to record a RS 232 signal to disk so as to be able to regenerate it (to simulate a device), the RS 232 speed is 57600 Baud.

I read that I should over-sample at least 16x if I go for a Analog Input board because RS needs steep rising edges.

Has anybody ever done something similar ? Does it work ?

I have never used HS DIO (655x or 656x series), maybe this would be more appropriated to record and regenerate an RS 232 signal ?

Any comment, ideas, though or orientation will be very appriciated, thanks in advance.

TiT,

I have a couple of quick comments (I've been swamped recently, not much time to contribute to this forum, unfortunately!)

Beware of the voltage levels on the RS-232, if this is a "standard" RS-232 device! (and standard can be a very difficult term to apply to RS-232!) I've measured voltages of +/- 11 volts using an oscilloscope. If you use a standard DIO at TTL levels, you may need some circuitry or a box to properly handle the mismatch between TTL and RS-232 levels.

BTW, why not just listen using the computer's RS-232 port and copy down the byte stream to a file, then spit that file back through the RS-232 port when you want to simulate? It might be faster, better, and cheaper that way. Is there something particularly "interesting" you expect to need to do that an RS-232 port may not quite be able to facilitate?

-Pete Liiva