Where is the visaconf.ini file?

ooth

After I upgraded to LabVIEW 8.2.1 and installed the newest MAX4.2. and NI-VISA4.1, the visaconf.ini was missing. It used to be under C:\VXIPNP\WinNT\NIvisa\ but now it's gone. Just to remind everyone what was in that file, it contained the aliases to the COM ports and other devices:

[ALIASES]

Alias0 = "'COM1','ASRL1::INSTR'"

Alias1 = "'COM2','ASRL2::INSTR'"

Alias2 = "'COM3','ASRL3::INSTR'"

Alias3 = "'COM4','ASRL4::INSTR'"

Alias4 = "'LPT1','ASRL10::INSTR'"

NumAliases = 5

So does MAX save the aliases to a different file?

I use to dynamically write to this file with LabVIEW so the user could define their own aliases.

Is there still a way to create an alias without using MAX?

QUOTE(ooth @ May 15 2007, 01:43 PM)

After I upgraded to LabVIEW 8.2.1 and installed the newest MAX4.2. and NI-VISA4.1, the visaconf.ini was missing. It used to be under C:\VXIPNP\WinNT\NIvisa\ but now it's gone.

I upgraded to 8.2.1, recently, and my visaconf.ini is still in the same old location (C:\VXIPNP\WinNT\NIvisa\visaconf.ini).

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ May 15 2007, 05:50 PM)

I upgraded to 8.2.1, recently, and my visaconf.ini is still in the same old location (C:\VXIPNP\WinNT\NIvisa\visaconf.ini).

Thanks Jim for letting me know it's still there. I did have some issues when upgrading and it could have been deleted from my computer.

• 1 year later...

QUOTE (TobyD @ Oct 27 2008, 08:44 AM)

EDIT: I found http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F02B2BF8943A31D786257393005D16F1' target="_blank">this article on ni.com, but I'm running Vista and the application data folder no longer exists - still looking :(

On my Vista computer, visaconf.ini is located in C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\NIvisa.

I don't know the best way to replicate settings between computers, but it seems likely that your app will need elevated privilege if you want to write a program to modify the file.

QUOTE (jdunham @ Oct 27 2008, 10:26 AM)

On my Vista computer, visaconf.ini is located in C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\NIvisa.

I don't know the best way to replicate settings between computers, but it seems likely that your app will need elevated privilege if you want to write a program to modify the file.

Thanks! Apparently I had "show hidden folders" turned off so visaconf.ini didn't show up in any of my searches. :oops: It's definitely a Monday.