Splash screen

Hello,

can anybody say me why if I make the state of my splash window FP to "closed" (picture2), than my application stops completely. To hide the FP(picture1) does minimize the window, but I want to hide it completely.

Thank you, Eugen

P.S. my splash screen VI is the top level.

QUOTE(Eugen Graf @ Jun 11 2007, 09:05 PM)

can anybody say me why if I make the state of my splash window FP to "closed" (picture2), than my application stops completely. To hide the FP(picture1) does minimize the window, but I want to hide it completely.

I don't have access to LabVIEW at the moment, but I think that setting the FP state to "closed" on the top level VI, is the same as pressing the X (close button) in the upper corner of the application window, i.e. closing the application.

/J

Setting the FP.State property to Hidden should NOT minimize the window. It should make it disappear immediately. If you're still seeing a button in the taskbar, that's because LV creates a second window by default (if I remember correctly, it is precisely to keep the application open).

As mentioned, when you remove the top level VI in an application from memory, the RTE closes the application.

What you need to do is this:

1. Add the line HideRootWindow=True to your app's INI file under the [application name] section (you might need to create the section). This will make the application have only a single window.
  2. In the splash screen VI, have the VI open a reference to itself before setting its state to Hidden. That should keep it in memory.

QUOTE(yen @ Jun 11 2007, 02:36 PM)

Setting the FP.State property to Hidden should NOT minimize the window. It should make it disappear immediately. If you're still seeing a button in the taskbar, that's because LV creates a second window by default (if I remember correctly, it is precisely to keep the application open).

Not exactly! That second task bar button is a "hidden" window that serves internally in LabVIEW as message dispatcher to help LabVIEW with asynchronous operations and such. With Win32 this wouldn't strictly be necessary I guess as threading could solve that too, but this was implemented for Win3.1, as having windows message queues was the only way to achieve some sort of multitasking back then. Removing it would probably have all kinds of strange effects and require a lot of work to make LabVIEW behave in all aspects the same as it did, so nobody went that path so far.

To make that second task bar button disappear you can add the HideRootWindow=True key to you labview.ini and all your executable ini files.

As to the OP question, my splash screens simply terminate AFTER they launched (Run) the main window AND made sure it's window was open, which the main window will do after having initialized everything.

Rolf Kalbermatter

In realy attached VI had to be the main.vi and not the splash. Fitstly without the Transparency-Part. But I saw that the empty window of this VI appears and stays on screen, then I got the idea to make a splash screen from this VI. It works now, no more problems.

Thank

QUOTE(rolfk @ Jun 12 2007, 09:20 AM)

As to the OP question, my splash screens simply terminate AFTER they launched (Run) the main window AND made sure it's window was open, which the main window will do after having initialized everything.

Yes, in the few occasions I needed a splash screen that's what I did as well. It's just been a while since the last time I did one.