Commenting Code

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Jun 28 2007, 12:00 PM)

Another project specific structure I use frequently is the conditional disable structure, also located in the structures pallete. This one allows you to turn on and off behavior similar to #ifdef's in C by setting a variable in the project manager. An example is one that I use all the time: HARDWARE=TRUE/FALSE :thumbup: Makes development at my desk a much happier experience.

Or another one I see frequently is: DEPLOY=TRUE/FALSE for enabling autoclose behavior or things that you just want to happen after you build the EXE.

QUOTE(orko @ Jun 28 2007, 11:21 PM)

Another project specific structure I use frequently is the http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/glang/conditional_disable_structure/' target="_blank">conditional disable structure, also located in the structures pallete. This one allows you to turn on and off behavior similar to #ifdef's in C by setting a variable in the project manager. An example is one that I use all the time: HARDWARE=TRUE/FALSE :thumbup: Makes development at my desk a much happier experience.

Or another one I see frequently is: DEPLOY=TRUE/FALSE for enabling autoclose behavior or things that you just want to happen after you build the EXE.

DEBUG==TRUE

Ton

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to the diagram disable and conditional disable structures in 8.2, you could just drop a case structure and wire a constant to the ? input. This wasn't a complete commenting out -- if you had a broken wire inside the case structure, your VI was still broken, unlike the new diagram/conditional disable structures. But it did guarantee that code would not execute. That trick still works in 8.2, but the new strutures, as I mentioned, do a more thorough commenting out.

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Jul 9 2007, 05:26 PM)

That trick still works in 8.2, but the new strutures, as I mentioned, do a more thorough commenting out.

Also, 8.2 and later now remove code like this when you build the application, so you can't use this to hold VIs in memory. I assume the same happens with the disable structures, but I'm not sure.

QUOTE(yen @ Jul 9 2007, 12:43 PM)
Also, 8.2 and later now remove code like this when you build the application, so you can't use this to hold VIs in memory. I assume the same happens with the disable structures, but I'm not sure.
True. The diagram disable structures do not hold VIs in memory. If you need to hold subVIs in memory without invoking them, use the Static VI Reference node (found in the Programming>>Application Control palette).

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Jul 9 2007, 07:26 AM)

Prior to the diagram disable and conditional disable structures in 8.2, you could just drop a case structure and wire a constant to the ? input. ... That trick still works in 8.2...

Just for completeness, I want to remind people that if you use a case structure to comment out code AND you still want it to stay in memory, you now need to use a boolean control on the front panel set to false instead of a boolean constant. The LabVIEW compiler is smarter now and will not include code if it's inside a case structure with a boolean constant set to false.