Adding annotations to waveform chart

QUOTE(abuch06 @ Jul 26 2007, 06:16 AM)

I know that it is possible with waveform graphs... but I need to be able to add some kind of lables to the multiple channels that are displayed on a waveform chart because it's impossible to tell which one is which. Is there any way to do this? if not, any other ideas?

How about using different line styles (dots, dashes etc) different colors, and different thicknesses? right-click on the "plot 0" (legend) for these options.

Alternately, you could put a cursor on each plot and rename the cursors with the plot names.

PS From GUI standpoint it is never a good idea to have more than about 4 plots per chart/graph. You might want to break it up into a few separate graphs.

Neville.

Thanks for the reply:

I'm going to revisit the cursor option; I attempted it once before but got too frustrated (I'm still a total beginner).

I tried stacking the plots instead of overlapping them, but I have 26 different channels I need to display, and possible more in the future for this application. I need to be able to view them all together. Is there a way to overlap the graphs 2 at a time and stack the couples?

Another question with the program... I need to be able to build an array that cuts out values from a previous array. The previous array is 3D, first two dimensions are channel and values, the 3rd dimension I assigned a 1 to the values I want to keep and a 0 to the ones I want to cut. I cut out the values with a case structure inside a nested for loop but when the case is false it still requires an output. I tried using the "default" output, but that just pads the areas that i want to cut out with zeros... I know there has to be a way to do this, but I'm just not seeing it.

QUOTE(abuch06 @ Jul 26 2007, 10:18 AM)

Sure, you can display 26 channels if you want.. question is can any human can make sense of such a display? Like I said, split them into 7 groups of upto 4 channels each. No, as far as I know, there is no way to stack groups of channels.

Have some sort of selector (multiple selection from a list-box?) that allows the user to select the 4 channels that they want to view in a plot, and show those 4. You can use property nodes of the chart to display or hide the channels; plot all 26 in each group, but display only a maximum of any 4.

Most technical people, when asked what data they want to see on a graph, reply "everything". That saves them the trouble of thinking through the question, and coming up with a logical answer. But if you go through the process, some channels naturally will need to be seen together, others might not. Spend some time on this process. I used to work in the fuel-cell business where hundreds of variables needed to be monitored in real-time. Still didn't need to plot them all together. Temperatures and maybe a critical pressure or two, went together, fuel-related params went together, sub-system params were lumped together etc. etc.

QUOTE(abuch06 @ Jul 26 2007, 10:18 AM)

Another question with the program... I need to be able to build an array that cuts out values from a previous array. The previous array is 3D, first two dimensions are channel and values, the 3rd dimension I assigned a 1 to the values I want to keep and a 0 to the ones I want to cut. I cut out the values with a case structure inside a nested for loop but when the case is false it still requires an output. I tried using the "default" output, but that just pads the areas that i want to cut out with zeros... I know there has to be a way to do this, but I'm just not seeing it.

In future, post a picture of your block diagram (or post your code). I suspect you need a shift register to pass values previously collected, through the False case. Maybe use a Build array in the True case.

Neville.

QUOTE(Ben @ Jul 26 2007, 11:46 AM)

"NaN" when presented to graph or charts will not plot any points.

The plotting will resume once it sees a non-NaN value.

Ben

True, but disabling or enabling the plot will show all the data available in that particular chart view, when the switch is toggled on enable.

With the NaN's data will only start showing up after the toggle.

I guess you could use either depending on the requirement.

Neville.

Thanks for the help with the graphs... I'm gonna get working on some sort of toggle system.

As for the other question, for some reason this forum wont let me post screenshots or vi's... i dont know why. Heres an attempt at copying and pasting a screenshot:

if that didnt work... i can easily explain whats on the vi. its a simple integrated for loop with two array feeding into it. one is a time array the other is an array with values for 26 channels at each of those times. inside the for loops the array is indexed and there is a inequality sign checking to see if the value goes over 2. if it does... i want the program to create a seperate 3D array: channel, value, and time. if it doesnt go over 2 then i want the program to disregard the value and continue. simple enough? i tried creating the array inside the case structure after it checks the value... but when the case is false, the tunnel still requires an output.

thanks

i meant nested not integrated... sorry kinda tired