LVClass and Project Document drag and drop (onto file path control)

Bug 1) When you drag and drop an LVClass onto a file path control, I would expect it to behave just like dragging and dropping a VI onto a file path control: the path to the LVClass file should be populated into the value of the path control. What currently happens is a LVClass refnum is created on top of the control. (Basically, LabVIEW just ignores the fact that you dropped the LVClass onto the path control and treats it as if you dropped the LVClass onto the VI's front panel).

Bug 2) When you drag and drop a project document (a non-LabVIEW file type such as a TXT file, MS Word Document, etc.) from the Project Explorer window onto a file path control, I would expect it to behave just like dragging and dropping a VI onto a file path control: the path to the document should be populated into the value of the path control. What currently happens is a new file path control is created on the VI's front panel that is pre-populated with the path to the document!? Please tell me what use case this enables -- I can't think of any reason to want this behavior.

Anyhow, that's all the complaining I'll do this morning. Gotta get back to preparing for NIWeek.

Cheers,

-Jim

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Aug 15 2007, 02:19 PM)

Any word yet on whether this might be addressed in a future version of LabVIEW? :)

Several words, including the phrase "darn pushy users." :P

No, I have no idea if this will be addressed at this time. It'll be any number of months before I get back to low level bug fixes. Right after release is when I generally wander off to the bigger projects. Otherwise I could spend lifetimes just tweaking small things, and let me tell you, that gets boring fast. The mind begins to grasp at any passing fancy that seems more exciting than endless bug fixing, and the programmer, in such deranged state, is driven to such madness as to put just-in-time advice dialogs up after every mouse click. Trust me ... it's better not to go that route.

• 5 months later...

CAR 4C1A37J1 has been split to cover the two separate issues. CAR 4C1A37J1 covers "Bug when dragging .lvclass from project tree to path control".

CAR 4DCCLJ00 covers the second issue:

This was reported to R&D (CAR 4DCCLJ00) for further investigation. "Bug when dragging non-LV file from project tree onto front panel path control"

Both of these issues are tagged as fixed in the next release version (not bug fix version) of LabVIEW.