One handed typing?

Yair

I'm a big fan of the xkcd comics, but on occasion, the writer also posts a blog entry. His latest entry was about a small Linux program which allows using the keyboard with a single hand. This sounded optimal for LV usage, so I wrote a quick VI (7.0) to simulate this to see how useful it would be, but I couldn't really get the hang of it.

Try writing anything in the string control (e.g. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog) and erasing your mistakes, all by using the left side of the keyboard (use Caps Lock to toggle the right side) and tell the world what you think. Is this any good?

BTW, if anyone is interested, I have a VI which will download and allow browsing through all the xkcd comics, which I wrote so I would have some reading material on the flight home after NIWeek.

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Aug 19 2007, 05:07 PM)

I really want to know... what sound did your keyboard make? What is the sound of one hand typing???

I think LabVIEW type system should be changed into one handed, preferrably left handed. You can either use left handed types or right handed types in your applications but left handed and right handed types cannot be used jointly in the same application. I guess I'm becoming mentally closer to the fifth dimension...

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Aug 19 2007, 05:07 PM)

I really want to know... what sound did your keyboard make? What is the sound of one hand typing???

For me it sounds like two handed typing, only much much much slower and with a lot more stops in order to delete stuff. Kind of like the stuff you get from people who are still doing one or two finger typing after years of using a keyboard.

However, why not download the VI and try it yourself? I want to know what other people think of it.

QUOTE(yen @ Aug 19 2007, 06:32 AM)

Try writing anything in the string control (e.g. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog) and erasing your mistakes, all by using the left side of the keyboard (use Caps Lock to toggle the right side) and tell the world what you think. Is this any good?

I'm still trying to decide whether it makes more sense to my brain to have mirrored the keyboard vs. shifting it (i.e. H maps to G vs. H maps to A).

QUOTE(Gary Rubin @ Aug 20 2007, 07:00 PM)

I'm still trying to decide whether it makes more sense to my brain to have mirrored the keyboard vs. shifting it (i.e. H maps to G vs. H maps to A).

That's an interesting idea.

How about this version (7.1), which flips or shifts the keyboard?

I personally couldn't really get used to this one either in the 30 seconds or so in which I tried it.