"Save As >> Open additional copy" on LVClass Member causes original

[Status: reported to NI and waiting on response]

If you want to make a copy of an LVClass member, you will probably open it, and then choose File>>Save As from the menu and then choose Copy>>Open additional copy from the "Save As" dialog.

post-17-1190183579.png?width=400

However, doing so will cause you original class member to become modified (showing an asterisk in the window title and asking you to save it if you try to close its window).

Steps to reproduce

1) Open a class member

2) If the class member has any unsaved changes, save the class member

3) Select File>>Save As from the menu

4) Select Copy>>Open additional copy from the "Save As" dialog

4.1) Ensure that Add copy to *.lvclass is unchecked and Add copy to *.lvproj is checked

5) Choose a location and new name for your copy of the class member

Results

Note that the original class member has unsaved changes

Expected Results

The original class member should have no unsaved changes, since saving a copy should not perform any action on the original

I have always wondered about this behavior, but just accepted it.

If you do this by the invoke nodes VI:Save.Instrument and select “Save a Copy=True” the master VI don’t get changed.

Nice thing is that the new cloned VI gets disconnected from the class. So it will not modify your class automatically, instead you have to add it as a second step where ever you want it.

QUOTE(MikaelH @ Sep 19 2007, 03:58 PM)

I have always wondered about this behavior, but just accepted it.

If you do this by the invoke nodes VI:Save.Instrument and select "Save a Copy=True" the master VI don't get changed.

Nice thing is that the new cloned VI gets disconnected from the class. So it will not modify your class automatically, instead you have to add it as a second step where ever you want it.

Mikael,

I'm glad you've entered the discussion, because it leads to my use case for "Save a Copy" on a class member. I want to create a copy of a dynamic method in a sibling class. Right now, this takes me a lot of work, because I have to replace the object reference control+indicator, and any private methods like GetData, SetData, etc. It would be GREAT if the Endevo GDS had an option similar to the "Override" option (when creating a new method), but was able to copy from siblings, as opposed to just the ancestor classes.

Thanks,

-Jim

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Sep 20 2007, 09:29 AM)

It would be GREAT if the Endevo GDS had an option similar to the "Override" option (when creating a new method), but was able to copy from siblings, as opposed to just the ancestor classes.

I know exactly what you mean, since I've needed that function as well. And if I need it I add IT, so just give me some time....

Right now I'm finishing up the 2.0 version and had a release candiadate 2 days ago, but when testing a function in 8.5 it didn't work...

So upgrading from 821 to 85 isn't always a simple mass compile action :(

I hope we can open a "New features" forum were we can rate them, so I know what features to start with.

//Mikael