All application contexts

WRITTEN IN RESPONSE TO THE FOLLOWING POST.

http://forums.lavag.org/How-to-access-use-...ance-t9400.html

The reply belonged here

Boy oh boy!! you hit on one of my favorite hacks!

post-208-1193671083.jpg?width=400

This should get you what you need. and more!

This opens the treasure trove of all the guts of LV running LV. BEWARE

Hence the move to the rusty nails forum

QUOTE(Norm Kirchner @ Oct 29 2007, 10:18 AM)

Boy oh boy!! you hit on one of my favorite hacks!

I can't replicate this; those properties don't seem to exist for me. I thought maybe I hadn't turned on scripting for my 8.2 version, but can't find much information on that. Some tidbits in the forums suggest it now requires a separate license from NI and is now denied to us lowly mortals? The wiki article is just a stub.

QUOTE(Norm Kirchner @ Oct 29 2007, 03:18 PM)

This should get you what you need. and more!

This opens the treasure trove of all the guts of LV running LV. BEWARE

Hence the move to the rusty nails forum

Hi Norm,

I have spent a little while looking at this and though it does get me a great deal more propereties and info, at present I do not see how I can use this to move forward to solve my problem, as what I think I need is a reference to the Vi within the NI.LV.Dialog instance.

This problem is showing me how little I really know about LabVIEW :( , could you give me a little more detail on which way I should move forward. I suspect the answer is there right in front of me but I cannot see how to get the reference I need in order to be able to open the correct instance

cheers

Danny

Well from the array and name of the items, you should be able to find the context called NI.LV.Dialog Then look for a all exported VIs in memory for that specific context

then once you find the name of the VI or if you already know the name of the VI, simply pump it into an 'open VI reference ' along with the correct application reference. If that's still not enough, just re-post and I'll put a snibbit of code

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(Norm Kirchner @ Oct 30 2007, 02:46 PM)

Hi Norm,

Thanks very much for that tip, I managed to get round to playing with this today your comments were enough to put me on the right track.

I have written a little VI, that may be of interest to others using the OpenG builder, who like me are still trying to learn all this.

I hope somebody find it useful :yes: as it is my first code post (and I would like to return something to the community).

I would also be happy to get any feedback if this is not the way to do it, or how to do it better.

This VI can be placed into any pre-build / post-build or callback VI that the OpenG builder uses and it will append messages to the NI.LV.Dialog DEAB_Log_store__ogb.vi string register.

The benifit of adding your own logging in this way to the build log file means that you get only a single build log file and the OpenG application deals with all the time stamp and location issues according to the rules in your build configurastion file.

I did wonder if I should put a shift register around this code to hold the reference so it does not have to be looked up each time used. My worry with this is can I assume that all the pre-build post-build and allback VI will have the same application contect themselves.

The uploaded VI is save in LabVIEW 8.2.1.

Download File:post-7256-1194562875.vi

post-7256-1194563082.gif?width=400

cheers

Dannyt