Any success with RefeeChanged anybody?

Tomi Maila

Hi,

Has anybody had any success with RefeeChanged ability? I tried to use Add Linker Reference method of XNode class to register my XNode to change when a VI is modified or when the VI path is changed. However I fail to succeed, I only get an error from Add Linker Reference method that the manager function is not supported.

Tomi

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Dec 4 2007, 10:05 AM)

Has anybody had any success with http://wiki.lavag.org/RefeeChanged_%28XNode_Ability%29' target="_blank">RefeeChanged ability? I tried to use Add Linker Reference method of XNode class to register my XNode to change when a VI is modified or when the VI path is changed. However I fail to succeed, I only get an error from Add Linker Reference method that the manager function is not supported.

:!: For the love of LabVIEW -- LEAVE THAT FUNCTION ALONE. :!:

Nothing -- and I cannot stress this enough -- NOTHING that you write that uses any of the G linker functions can be considered usable in association with any given set of VIs unless it has been certified by a LV linker expert and tested directly by LV team in the Thousand Monkeys Test Suite for provider robustness. Your *probability* of destabilizing LabVIEW by creating new linker relationships and attempting to manage those relationships is as close to certain as you can get.

I don't know why you're getting an error. I can only say I'm grateful that you got an error because it prompted you to ask this question.

I'm sure you're trying to do something wonderful and magical with the XNode. Do it using an existing relationship. Have your XNode script a strict static VI Reference to the target subVI-- that'll get you a type prop call any time the other VI changes its conpane. Do something creative. But efforts to use the linker functions are pretty much doomed to failure unless you've got way more linker expertise looking over your shoulder than you do. The worst part is that you might even get it working in the 90% case. That 10% case will never be clearly understood and will simply result in bizzare LV behavior that you may never relate back to having one of these XNodes lingering around on some block diagram somewhere.

• Like 1

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Dec 5 2007, 01:49 AM)

For the love of LabVIEW -- LEAVE THAT FUNCTION ALONE.

Ok. I will. At least for now. This project I can work out without linkage modifications. Though I've in my mind another project with which I couldn't avoid using... :)

Do I correctly read between the lines that you have personal experience on fighting with linkage issues ;)

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Dec 5 2007, 02:29 AM)

Do I correctly read between the lines that you have personal experience on fighting with linkage issues ;)

I want those 18 months of my life back.

You've never lived as a developer until you come into the office on a Monday morning, nine weeks before release, to find a bug report:

"File >> Save As" deletes my file from disk

filed by the poor sucker who tried to make a backup copy...

And all because someone somewhere made "just a small change" to the linker.

• 5 years later...