Interactivly controling Subpanels

Hello,

I am programming a control application, that is rather complex.

I want to use Subpanels to have more overview.

My idea to have a first startup panal with some general indicators and controls in a subpanel (showing the overview of my application), i.e. a motor icon.

Now I want a more specific Subpanel to be opened, when I click on the motor.

From this subpanel I want to go to a more detailed subpanel or or to go back to the more general subpanel.

Has anyone done such a kind of application?

All the examples, that I found are based on controls in the main VI, but that seems not to be as flexible as having the decition, where to go in the specific vi myself.

It would be great if someone can post me an example or a guideline.

Thanks from Nick

QUOTE(NickKnatterton @ Jan 2 2008, 08:03 AM)

Hello,

I am programming a control application, that is rather complex.

I want to use Subpanels to have more overview.

My idea to have a first startup panal with some general indicators and controls in a subpanel (showing the overview of my application), i.e. a motor icon.

Now I want a more specific Subpanel to be opened, when I click on the motor.

From this subpanel I want to go to a more detailed subpanel or or to go back to the more general subpanel.

Has anyone done such a kind of application?

All the examples, that I found are based on controls in the main VI, but that seems not to be as flexible as having the decition, where to go in the specific vi myself.

It would be great if someone can post me an example or a guideline.

Thanks from Nick

You would want the VI containing the Subpanel to control loading and unloading of VIs within the Subpanel. So what I would suggest would be to have your subpaneled VI send a message to the hosting VI indicating what change is to be made. This could be via queue, notifier, user event, etc. This could allow navigation from the child VIs as well as from the parent (hosting) VI.

David

Check out LVx in the forum here

http://forums.lavag.org/LVx-Exported-LV-Fu...lity-t9437.html

The demo shows how to easily send messages to an executing exe, but I use the same framework to message back and forth between top level VIs and sub-panels.

It is very powerful because it can leverage the ability of LVOOP, but does not require that you are be a master of them.

QUOTE(Norm Kirchner @ Jan 2 2008, 08:20 PM)

Check out LVx in the forum here

http://forums.lavag.org/LVx-Exported-LV-Fu...lity-t9437.html

The demo shows how to easily send messages to an executing exe, but I use the same framework to message back and forth between top level VIs and sub-panels.

It is very powerful because it can leverage the ability of LVOOP, but does not require that you are be a master of them.

Thanks for the prompt answers.

@ Norm, I am very curious about using this demo, BUT I am using LV 8.0.

Any chance to see the code in LV8 ???

Thanks Nick