Replaced type def keeps reverting to original. Arrgh!

This is making me absolutely nuts. I have a strict type def in three places in my code. I want to replace that type def with a new one with the same name that's in a different directory. Every time I replace it (which proceeds without any warnings or problems) it reverts back to the original one. The only way I've been able to actually replace it is to delete every instance of the type def in my code and then put the new one in. Why the heck won't it let me do the replacement?

George

QUOTE(george seifert @ Feb 5 2008, 08:26 AM)

This is making me absolutely nuts. I have a strict type def in three places in my code. I want to replace that type def with a new one with the same name that's in a different directory. Every time I replace it (which proceeds without any warnings or problems) it reverts back to the original one. The only way I've been able to actually replace it is to delete every instance of the type def in my code and then put the new one in. Why the heck won't it let me do the replacement?

George

I believe I have seen waht you are describing and it ends up being the old "one VI in memory by a name" thing.

To replace the type def I play the rename game (close LV rename old as temp, new get correct name, open VI at let LV find the new typedef).

Ben

Any chance you can just close LabVIEW, do the replacement on disk (ie, rename the old one, move the new one to the location of the old one), and then reopen your VIs? Once you've done that you can open the new typedef and rename it to save it back to its original location.

EDIT: I misunderstood Ben's comment when I first read it, and after rereading I note that my suggestion simply duplicates his.

QUOTE(george seifert @ Feb 5 2008, 11:55 AM)

The other thing that worked was to disconnect all the type defs (better than deleting them) and them replace them with the new reference. Not too bad if there's only a few of them.

Still I don't understand why it doesn't work like replacing a VI where it will replace all instances.

George

Hi George,

Last time I checked I could not replace a VI with one name with another VI of the same name. Is that allowed now?

Ben