RS232 Terminal

Eugen Graf

QUOTE(Eugen Graf @ Feb 22 2008, 08:14 AM)

Very nice looking - a great LV implementation of the familiar Hyperterm behaviour. My computer isn't finding the Exit If Runtime VI. From your user lib?

Richard

QUOTE(BrokenArrow @ Feb 29 2008, 06:22 PM)

Very nice looking - a great LV implementation of the familiar Hyperterm behaviour. My computer isn't finding the Exit If Runtime VI. From your user lib?

Richard

Sorry for this VI, it's not really needed for IDE, but for EXE. This VI is from MGI, you can easy ignore it.

I have only one problem with my terminal, I don't know what to do with the cursor in the String Control. False implementation, any ideas?

Thanks for feedback, best regards, Eugen

QUOTE(Eugen Graf @ Mar 3 2008, 06:18 PM)

....... I don't know what to do with the cursor in the String Control. False implementation, any ideas?................

I see... the string control thinks the data is fresh every loop iteration, causing the cursor to stay in position1. Maybe follow the string length and force the issue? See attached picture.

Richard

• 6 months later...

QUOTE (Eugen Graf @ Sep 25 2008, 04:04 AM)

What are the advantages/disadvantages of one way over the other? I have always used VISA.

QUOTE (Eugen Graf @ Sep 25 2008, 10:14 AM)

VISA has a very big installation data on the target PC and .NET is already installed on almost all windows PCs.

What about performance? I've found .net to pretty slow when called from LabVIEW. Have you done any speed comparisons? Hard drive space is so cheap that I don't think install size is enough of an advantage to make up for any lost performance (if there is lost performance). I'd be curious to see the numbers - but I don't have time to test it myself right now.

-Toby

QUOTE (TobyD @ Sep 25 2008, 01:09 PM)

What are the advantages/disadvantages of one way over the other? I have always used VISA.

I used a third-party serial dll many years ago when there was an issue with the cost of NI-VISA. Back then, if you didn't use an NI serial card, you had to pay a license fee for each installation of NI-VISA (a license would come free with each card). I can't remember how much it was, but it was significant (several hundred dollars), and our client was going to be distributing the software free-of-charge to tens of thousands of their clients, and we only found out about the issue a couple of weeks before launch :) I created VIs that called the dll that were drop-in replacements for the VISA VIs (well, at least the functionality that we were using) and it worked great.

That said, when given the chance, I'd always go with NI-VISA. Also, I don't know whether NI's policy on NI-VISA licenses has changed or not...

QUOTE (TobyD @ Sep 25 2008, 07:41 PM)

What about performance? I've found .net to pretty slow when called from LabVIEW. Have you done any speed comparisons? Hard drive space is so cheap that I don't think install size is enough of an advantage to make up for any lost performance (if there is lost performance). I'd be curious to see the numbers - but I don't have time to test it myself right now.

-Toby

I didn't check the performance because it makes no sense here. The serial interface is much more slower than any call of any VI, so I don't know how can I check it.

QUOTE (Eugen Graf @ Sep 26 2008, 06:11 AM)

I didn't check the performance because it makes no sense here.

Not exactly. Having a .NET equivalent of "#bytes at serial port", followed by "serial read" in a tight 2ms loop for fast data communication at 115KBaud might show the weaknesses of the .NET implementation.

There have been many discussions here talking about the performance issues with calling .NET assemblies in fast loops with LabVIEW, and some of Brian Tyler's recommendations in his blog on how to deal with it.

Neville.