PLease help a newbie with a "Basics I" course question

richlega

QUOTE(neB @ Feb 29 2008, 02:54 PM)

:D yep - spent many a midnight hour defocussing over execution highlighting

QUOTE(neB @ Feb 29 2008, 02:54 PM)

Another pattern I noticed is that if more than one "flow" has their inputs available, the thread that was dropped on the diagram first will be executed first.

That's something I noticed years ago too - I'm not sure if it's still the case(?)

QUOTE(PaulG. @ Feb 29 2008, 09:25 AM)

The "correct" answer is not necessarily the answer you think is right, but the answer NI wants to hear.

A friend of mine recently took the CLAD exam, and there's a question floating around on it that has to do with when a For Loop will stop executing. One of the (supposedly wrong) answers is something to the effect of "when the value at its Stop terminal is true." Of course, starting with LabVIEW 8.5 that's a perfectly correct answer. So now the (multiple-choice, computer-based) test has two choices that are correct. :headbang:

I was relating that story to my wife the other day, and she said, "Why doesn't NI get the community involved in writing/revising the exam questions?"

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Feb 29 2008, 03:06 PM)

I was relating that story to my wife the other day, and she said, "Why doesn't NI get the community involved in writing/revising the exam questions?"

That confirms another engineering law: always listen to your missus.

QUOTE(Daklu @ Mar 3 2008, 06:10 PM)

Makes me wonder about the "seasoned" programmers the OP mentioned--especially the one who insisted NI's answer was wrong.

Hey - I was in the group who got it "wrong" by trying to think outside the box, and I think that my reasoning was justified: if I was concerned about dataflow, then I would never have programmed it like this. Just because you answer a question the way your examiner expects, doesn't mean that you're technically correct :)

(my high school finals English exam is a case in point: Abagail Williams wasn't evil, she was a young girl frightened by the societal pressures on her natural urges...)

QUOTE(crelf @ Feb 29 2008, 11:39 AM)

So, in summary, the order that the inputs of a VIs are satisfied is not necessarily the order in which those VIs are executed. This is pretty clear when using execution highlighting - sometimes LabVIEW likes to "finish a flow" before it goes back to others that are waiting mid-flow :wacko:

This brings up a small question I've always been a bit uneasy about:

Within a given VI, does execution highlighting show us exactly what order things will run in once execution highlighting is turned off? (Assuming there are no other parallel threads running outside of the VI I'm watching).

Jaegen

QUOTE(jaegen @ Mar 5 2008, 05:00 PM)

Within a given VI, does execution highlighting show us exactly what order things will run in once execution highlighting is turned off? (Assuming there are no other parallel threads running outside of the VI I'm watching).

No. It shows you one possible order. Remember that the order that parallel nodes execute in can be different every time that section of code executes. There are parallel threads *within* the VI and those threads go in whatever order they want to proceed.