New Video Blog: LabVIEW Tip Jar

QUOTE(bjzimmer @ Mar 3 2008, 08:25 PM)

Hi Ben,

Congratulations on the launch of your blog and thanks for contributing this content. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your videos. One thing: I'd recommend adding an RSS feed -- that will make it easy for people to receive notifications of new content. Personally, I prefer RSS to email-based subscriptions.

Cheers,

-Jim o

Seconded. I barely even use the web anymore except through RSS, so anything that undergoes periodic updates is likely to go completely under my radar unless it shows up in my RSS feeds.

EDIT: Now that I've watched the first TipJar episode, I can unabashedly admit that I'm a frequent visitor to the Example Finder, too. I think it's a great tool that's too frequently overlooked.

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Mar 4 2008, 01:32 AM)

Congratulations on the launch of your blog and thanks for contributing this content. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your videos. One thing: I'd recommend adding an RSS feed -- that will make it easy for people to receive notifications of new content. Personally, I prefer RSS to email-based subscriptions.

Here here - to all of those comments. Also, you might want to make the comments section open - at the moment, users have to register to leave a comment, whereas I suggest you change it to accept anyone's comment (and then you can moderate them).

QUOTE(crelf @ Mar 4 2008, 03:42 PM)

Here here - to all of those comments. Also, you might want to make the comments section open - at the moment, users have to register to leave a comment, whereas I suggest you change it to accept anyone's comment (and then you can moderate them).

I think Ben is (rightly) not using RSS feed because he wants to get content out to the widest possible audience. That includes professionals who are stuck behind secure firewalls and other such blockades.

QUOTE(TG @ Mar 4 2008, 01:08 PM)

I think Ben is (rightly) not using RSS feed because he wants to get content out to the widest possible audience. That includes professionals who are stuck behind secure firewalls and other such blockades.

I don't think anyone's suggesting abandoning anything that Ben's doing in favor of an RSS feed - all we're asking for is the addition of an RSS feed.

Guys! Thanks for the kind words. I'm thrilled that I finally found the time to dedicate to the video blog that has so far only been heard by the other voices in my head.

I've had a lot of positivie feedback already, thanks!

As far as RSS feeds go: Jim, that is a great idea, and I will look into how nicely it plugs into the framework I'm using for labviewmastery.com. I will certainly leave the email subscription there as well. Personally, I prefer the email-based, but my goal is that people who want to see the content can easily see the content, so I don't mind doing both.

Cheers!

Ben

That's a great initiative, Ben. :thumbup:

How about giving a Wii to anyone coming into the blog? :D

I just wanted to say that I also prefer the RSS option. It's very convenient for things like this.

P.S. I only ever learned two things from the XY chart example:

a) You can use a local variable to avoid using a USR. This mainly has advantages if you don't want to have long wires and you don't mind a copy of the data.

b) how not to code. I never did understand why it looks like that when cleaning it up would only take an extra couple of minutes. As a side point, I also prefer my own version because it doesn't lose the existing data if the buffer length is changed.