Calling access DB on distributed sytem without MS Access installed

I don't use the ADO toolkit, but it probably uses a connection string to determine which database to connect to, so you should be able to set a different string to use another DB. It probably does require the ADO libraries, but I think those are installed with Windows.

QUOTE(Klaus Petersen @ Mar 4 2008, 04:06 PM)

Hey.

My problem is that i'm using the ADO-toolkit to connect to a database. But apperently this relies on the host having MS access installed to work. Is there a way around this? Can i include an installer that will make the target able to call access db's?

If you install MDAC (already installed on recent Windows OSes like XP) you should be able to read Acess database files *.mdb) using a properly formatted DSN/UDN.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (Klaus Petersen @ Mar 4 2008, 10:06 PM)

that's wrong. the ADO-Toolkit does not need Access to work properly

QUOTE (rolfk @ Mar 10 2008, 09:52 PM)

If you install MDAC (already installed on recent Windows OSes like XP) you should be able to read Acess database files *.mdb) using a properly formatted DSN/UDN.

that's right. You have to install MDAC to use the ADO-Toolkit. MDAC is allready pre-installed on Windows 2k or higher, so you have to install it on Windows 98 or if you want to update your MDAC installation