nilm.exe hogging CPU

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 29 2008, 04:12 AM)

Does anyone know why the nilm.exe process is hogging my CPU?

It's the NI License Manager process! Are you sure you have no illegal LabVIEW Vis on your computer and the license manager is phoning home?? :ninja:

I've shut it completely down since LabVIEW 7.x already and never have noticed that my LabVIEW licenses wouldn't work. Apparently the built in LabVIEW license check has a fall back to read the license files directly from disk.

But to know that about 1MB from the labview.exe file is actually this built in license manager kernel, feels a bit well...

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 29 2008, 04:30 PM)

And how exactly do I shut this crap down?

Control Panel->Adminstrative Tools->Services

Then in there look for the NI License Manager Service, select it and in the dialog select Stop.

And set it's startup type to Manual to prevent it from restarting at the next reboot.

Rolf Kalbermatter

So I have to ask... if it isn't needed after activation, then why is it running as a service? Is there any stuff that we should be aware of that it does in the "background" before I turn it off on all my dev boxes (I can't stand processes that hang around for no reason...)?

QUOTE (orko @ Mar 29 2008, 07:54 PM)

So I have to ask... if it isn't needed after activation, then why is it running as a service? Is there any stuff that we should be aware of that it does in the "background" before I turn it off on all my dev boxes (I can't stand processes that hang around for no reason...)?

I'm not really sure but I think for a single dev workstation it is not needed at all. That is of course a different story if you use a volume license or distributed license. Here I would assume the license manager service is required to allow connecting to the license manager that would be running on some central system.

But yes NILM does not really do anything on my system it seems. I have it on manual startup since LabVIEW 7.1 came with it and never had problems with activation or whatever. All I noticed is that it creates sometimes temporary license files in the license folder when LabVIEW starts up. But it seems to work and that is the only thing that counts for me.

In your typical Windows system there are countless services that do virtually nothing. It would be nice to clean them all out but researching that matter is a work with no end and at the end of the day I need to do some work to justify my salary too.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 30 2008, 05:49 AM)

Well, I shut it down and then a service called LMGRD crashed and terminated. I guess it depended on nilm.exe running or something. Well it doesn't matter really because my LabVIEW still runs without problems. Thanks rolfk!

Ok I just checked. lmgrd.exe is the actual service that you have just disabled. nilm.exe is also part of the license manager but not exactly sure what it does. All I know is that LabVIEW has it's own copy of the FlexLM license manager integrated and apparently does all the license checking directly itself through that.

Not sure why there would be an nilm.exe ever nor what the lmgrd.exe service would be good for other than for volume license situations. Also haven't found any official information from NI about that and as long as it works without I just won't start it up.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (neB @ Mar 31 2008, 08:45 AM)

There was a thread on the "Dark-side" where high CPU used by NILM.exe was attributed to a second NIC.

Two NIC's?

God am I lucky to have disabled that. I have one VPN adapter, several VMWare virtual networks, a Wireless network and a built in 10/100/1000 MB network on my computer. That would probably cause nilm.exe to go completely nuts :thumbdown:

Rolf Kalbermatter

Although you are not using a network license manager, LV still looks occasionally for it's license on the local PC and it goes through NILM->LMGRD->FlexLM processes to do the checking.

I used to see this all the time w/ out cause so you are not alone w/ this, but I am on a laptop and technically I do use 2 nic (wireless & docked wired).

I have not seen it recently.