"Pane": Shortcut Menu Activation Generate Mouse Leave Event

Run the attached VI and see how creating the right click menu (in the "Pane": Shortcut Menu Activation frame) fires a "Pane": Mouse Leave Event.

This is an incorrect behavior.

Expected (Correct) behavior: no mouse leave event fire.

Similarly, selecting the right click menu and moving the mouse one pixel does generate a "Pane": mouse enter event.

This is an incorrect behavior.

Expected (Correct) behavior: no mouse enter event fire.

post-121-1210984135.png?width=400

post-7375-0-83205300-1391880867.pngLV 8.5

Note:

• This bug is present as far back as LV 8.21 (I did not check any further).
  • This has been reported to NI

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ May 19 2008, 09:51 AM)

I understand, now that I have seen this thread, that this is the intended behavior. Still, in my opinion, the behavior is unexpected.

The help window (see screen shot below) specify: "Mouse Leave: Generated when the cursor leaves the bounds of the front panel".

http://lavag.org/old_files/monthly_05_2008/post-121-1211234807.png' target="_blank">post-121-1211234807.png?width=400

This is pretty straighteforward text. So to have a mouse leave event fire when at no point in time the cursor left the panel bounds is incorrect. I understand that implementation wize this context menu is in another window, but as a LV programmer I have no concept (and no control) about this. The only thing I know is that LV fire a mouse leave event while my mouse pointer remains in the panel.

intvsteve says in the other thread "One could, for example, fashion a custom 'popup' VI to be invoked on clicking a control that, to the user, looks and behaves exactly the same as a popup menu. From the perspective of the OS events, these are also indistinguishable. Obviously, in the case of the popup VI, you would, as the implementor, expect the mouse leave to happen, since the mouse entered another VI window (the popup VI)."

I agree with this, but the critical information in this example is that I am the implementer of this extra popup window and I expect this since I know I am creating this popup in another window. In the current situation where I am using the LV native popup menu, this is totally unexpected.

Since, apparently, this behavior is there to stay, the help should be updated to reflect theses exceptions.

PJM