Watch MARS landing Live.

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ May 25 2008, 08:17 PM)

Well, it's over. landing was a success.

Science Channel has had live coverage from both JPL and U of A. We should have first images in about 90 minutes.

I've been a huge space junky since the first launch that I saw on TV (Gemini 4!) No single human endeavor has produced more useful technology or given a bigger return on investment than the space program, and yet we continue to fund it at barely anemic levels. Consider what we could be doing if we spent $80 billion a year on space instead of Iraq and Afghanistan. And don't get me started on the idiocy of retiring the Space Shuttle fleet before we have a replacement manned space vehicle. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

I took the family to University of Arizona in Tucson (yes, we drove from Phoenix to Tucson to watch Phoenix land on Mars) last weeked to watch the live feed with some of those heading up the science projects for the lander. Pretty intense to watch them sweat it out as the telemetry to touchdown was called off. And then the room exploded in applause and congratulations. Sweet to have been there personally. The next day we went to the Pima Air and Space museum. When we got home the first thing my 9yr old son did was to go the Phoenix home page to call up the images. I also caught him tinkering with LabVIEW 8.5 also. What have I created?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...