Servo Motor WIth PCI 6221

Hi All, I have PCI 6221 DAQ Card (68 pin) and using LV 8.0, I want to control the servo motor using this config., I have experience running the servo motor using PLC by inputting the calculated number of pulses to the servo run command in ladder logic for controlling the applicaton & it worked fine. Similarly I want to run the servo motor using LabVIEW so that I can input some pre defined pulses but dont know how to input the pulses, what pins to be connected and used. I have mitsubishi servo motor and its drive, could any body help me out with some sample code and hardware connection configuration. Thanks & RegardsJames

QUOTE (James P. Martin @ Jun 28 2008, 02:19 PM)

Hi All, I have PCI 6221 DAQ Card (68 pin) and using LV 8.0, I want to control the servo motor using this config., I have experience running the servo motor using PLC by inputting the calculated number of pulses to the servo run command in ladder logic for controlling the applicaton & it worked fine. Similarly I want to run the servo motor using LabVIEW so that I can input some pre defined pulses but dont know how to input the pulses, what pins to be connected and used. I have mitsubishi servo motor and its drive, could any body help me out with some sample code and hardware connection configuration. Thanks & RegardsJames

What interface are you using for your drive? Without knowing that, it's not possible to give you a good advice...

I'm using analog output or RS232, for my drives but it depends on the drive...

QUOTE (martin@aerodynamics @ Jun 30 2008, 01:05 AM)

Yes and no...

It depends on the drive, if you have an intelligent drive, you just say the drive to move 200 pulses (encoder pulses) and the acc. speed s-curve etc. and the drive does the rest for you...

Thanks for bringing me back to reality. I knew that.

that's the danger of doing late night posting.

Greetings All!

Coming soon is a LabView compatible driver that will allow servos, steppers and even VFDs to be controlled over a digital network. This does NOT require a "smart servo or drive" but a digital network communication card in your PC and network enabled servos, stepper and vfds can easily be commanded by driver VIs. This data should be posted on the NI Tools site later this month and also at www.yaskawa.com.

Note: Min. Requirements are PC running Vista or XP Pro; LabView 8.5 and Mechatrolink Network enabled drives; Motion profiles are point to point and velocity due to operating in the Windows environment.

Benefits: No breakout boards with losts of wiring; Plug n Work USB stlye connectors. LabView is the brain of your Mechatronics application and the drives and motors are your Mechatronics muscle.