VISTA Issue: LabVIEW hogging CPU after quitting?

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ Aug 7 2008, 10:47 PM)

I think I have an issue with VISTA and LabVIEW, where I start LabVIEW and the CPU jumps to 50 to 60%, and when I quit LV, the CPU stays high until I restart the puter. Any thoughts?

Version 8.5.1 and Vista Homer Premium 32-bit.

I'm not running Vista, but...

Have you looked at the processes tab of the task manager to see who's using the CPU? The type of behavior you're describing can happen when a program becomes a zombie (I've had some of my LabVIEW programs do this under NT and XP.). Usually I see LabVIEW still listed under the Processes tab of the task manager but not the applications tab when this happens.

Tim

QUOTE (Tim_S @ Aug 8 2008, 09:44 AM)

I'm not running Vista, but...

Have you looked at the processes tab of the task manager to see who's using the CPU? The type of behavior you're describing can happen when a program becomes a zombie (I've had some of my LabVIEW programs do this under NT and XP.). Usually I see LabVIEW still listed under the Processes tab of the task manager but not the applications tab when this happens.

Tim

Thanks Tim. Coincidentally, I did that last night, and I *may* have deduced the problem: Google Desktop. Not sure why, but I don't really care, Google Desktop is a hog. I'll post another response when/if I know for sure.

Richard

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ Aug 8 2008, 07:32 AM)

Thanks Tim. Coincidentally, I did that last night, and I *may* have deduced the problem: Google Desktop. Not sure why, but I don't really care, Google Desktop is a hog. I'll post another response when/if I know for sure.

Richard

I'm running Vista and have not seen this issue. I can confirm that Google Desktop is a hog though :) . Couple that with Vista and you don't have any system resources left at all.

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ Aug 10 2008, 12:10 PM)

OK, FYI, I've had much better performance since uninstalling Google Desktop.

Just curious, but why would you use Google Desktop and not Vista Sidebar? I think Sidebar is the slickest thing uSoft has come out with in a while and I've had no trouble at all with it hogging resources.