REWRITE the 3 BUTTON DIALOG.VI Coding Challenge

Mark Balla

This is a Coding Challenge to rewrite the 3 button dialogue.vi.

You can find the vi in

National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\vi.lib\Utility\error.llb\Three Button Dialog.vi

Or by navigating the pallets: Programming>>Dialog and User Interface>>Three Button Dialog.vi

post-584-1219549293.png?width=400

The background for how this challenge came about is found here

The challenge is open to everyone, except me.

Rules:

When you have completed the 3 button dialogue.vi zip it up and send it to me in a PM. I will give the code an alias and post it to this thread.

Submitters may not reveal their identity until the end of the challenge.

I’m doing this so anyone including Aristos or Michael can submit to the challenge an it will still be fair for everyone.

This will be an open discussion challenge if you have a comment about submitted code or about the challenge in general go ahead and post it to this thread.

Please try to be positive.

Let’s make this a 1 month challenge.

All submissions must be in by 09-30-08.

After that we will have an additional week of discussion and then I will post a poll to vote.

The winner will earn the respect and adoration of his peers and they will have their code proudly displayed in the Code Repository. Of which I will personally assist in making sure it passes all the requirements.

So if you don’t like the way the 3 button dialog is written or think you can do better then show us how it supposed to be done.

REMEMBER DO NOT Post code to this Thread. PM it to me and I will post it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've Added a couple of new minor requirements to the 3 button challenge

1. Please PM me Instructions or comments that you want members to read along with your code.
  2. Please save the code in version 8.2 if possible.

I will be using the resistor color code as my alias naming scheme.

[bLACK] first submission

[bROWN] second

[RED] third

ect....

[bROWN_BLACK] tenth

Second Submission for the 3 button dialog.

Comment:

Here is my Three Button Dialog effort, I just added a wrapper around a Multi Button Dialog I had previously developed and tidied things up a bit.

It is a zip file with a LV8.2.1 project. Just open the project and run the "RunMe - Demo.vi" to see it in action!!

Download File:post-584-1223237314.zip

Reminder

1 DAY Left in the 3 Button Coding Challenge.

Two Submissions so far

If you would like to get in on the challenge but ran out of time send me a PM and I will consider extending the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Third Submission for the 3 button dialog.

Thanks for holding on. You can find it attached (LV8.2).

One thing you need to do before you can view this VI: You need to install the following package with VIPM:

jki_lib_state-machine

Without this package installed my submission will be broken. Sorry I can't include this but it's available from VIPM if you do a check for updates and it's totally free. More details can be found here:

http://jkisoft.com/state-machine/

Download File:post-584-1223993648.zip

Since it is not feasible for the JKI submission to be anonymous I am retracting this requirement.

I will reveal the names of the other two submitters. All comments and criticism are welcome.

The submission part of the three button dialog challenge is officially closed.

We will take a week or so for comments and opinions and then post a poll for voting. Please don’t be shy and feel free to campaign for your favorite submission.