Multiple Control Selection

I think the real issue is that once you are an experienced user and you know what you want, the palettes mostly get in the way. The right answer is other tools like QuickDrop in LV8.6 (though i'm still stuck in LV8.5 for now). Presumably you want multi-selection so that you spend less time digging around in them. But if you need stuff on different palettes, and NI implements some kind of checkbox selection interface, I think it would be complex and annoying.

I don't think that fixing the palettes themselves is as good as bypassing them. They are great for browsing around and exploring the feature set, but not that great for quick access to known items. Mostly I just drag and drop stuff from other similar VIs, especially controls for the front panel.

QUOTE (Variant @ Sep 26 2008, 02:27 PM)

I always wondered why NI has not provided an option to select multiple controls from the Controls pallete or Multiple nodes from the Functions pallets, it really painful to get the control one by one from the pallete.

If you need more than one thing from a palette, pin it, get what you're after, then unpin it.

QUOTE (jdunham @ Sep 26 2008, 10:03 PM)

Anything wrong with http://forums.lavag.org/-t8976.html&view=findpost&p=41774' target="_blank">this? Works before 8.6 and IMO better in some ways than QD. The only real issue is getting the names, but hopefully I should have a solution for that using the same method NI uses in 8.6.

This is absolutely a good idea, I think 8.6 is trying to achieve this with QuickDrop (using keyboard shortcuts). It shouldnt be too hard to corporate this on the pallete when it is pinned down. User should be able to hold Ctrl and select multiple items just like selecting files within Window Explorer. LV 9.0 will have this may be :)

QUOTE (Minh Pham @ Sep 30 2008, 01:18 AM)

This is absolutely a good idea, I think 8.6 is trying to achieve this with QuickDrop (using keyboard shortcuts). It shouldnt be too hard to corporate this on the pallete when it is pinned down. User should be able to hold Ctrl and select multiple items just like selecting files within Window Explorer. LV 9.0 will have this may be :)

I think having right click menu on the controls would be useful, having a selection 2 control on row, 3 controls of a row,7 controls on a row and the same for columns.