Project idea

cheekychops

Hi,

I wonder if you guys can please help me with some project ideas for my final year project, I am suppose to come up with a project title in LabView, I have intermediate knowledge in LabView(arrays, charts and graphs, structures, acquiring data using DAQ and also have access to USB interface).

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

QUOTE (cheekychops @ Oct 9 2008, 10:56 AM)

Hi,

I wonder if you guys can please help me with some project ideas for my final year project, I am suppose to come up with a project title in LabView, I have intermediate knowledge in LabView(arrays, charts and graphs, structures, acquiring data using DAQ and also have access to USB interface).

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

You need to give us a little more information about the project requirements/guidelines, what type of program/major are you in, where you are located, what access you have to specific I/O hardware, possible budget to purchase additional, HW, etc.

My suggestion is that you build a sprinkler system controller with remote web interface.

QUOTE (LV_FPGA_SE @ Oct 9 2008, 09:41 AM)

That has http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-2323' target="_blank">been done (read the comments about ideas on replicating the system with an FPGA - That would be a fun project). You could also make a soil moisture monitoring system that integrates with the sprinkler system controller to fully automate the sprinkler system based on the water needs of each zone.

Another idea... you could do an automatic fish feeder. Something that distributes a fixed amount of fish food to a tank on whatever schedule you set it up for.

I believe design something within your major / field is a good choice. (electrical, telecom, control, biomedical, mechanical, imaging, optics, automation....)

The best choice is something that you really interested in (something that you think is cool!)

I dont have any specific suggestion as you didnt describe much about you in your post.

Good luck,

Hi

I major in Computer systems. I have followed programming in Java, C++, have also done concurrent programming in C. I have used Labview before to create waveforms and work with them, also used the Ni Elvis to acquire data. I must admit I dont have a great knowledge in Electronics, hence I am not sure what type of project I can manage.

Thanks.

QUOTE (cheekychops @ Oct 9 2008, 06:02 PM)

I major in Computer systems. I have followed programming in Java, C++, have also done concurrent programming in C. I have used Labview before to create waveforms and work with them, also used the Ni Elvis to acquire data. I must admit I dont have a great knowledge in Electronics, hence I am not sure what type of project I can manage.

How much I/O do you need/want in your project? You could do without any I/O and write a program/application that only involves software. I guess this may be acceptable for a Computer Systems major.

You could think about a distributed networked application with pieces running on different computers. Think along the lines of networked multiplayer game.

QUOTE (LV_FPGA_SE @ Oct 10 2008, 12:08 PM)

How much I/O do you need/want in your project? You could do without any I/O and write a program/application that only involves software. I guess this may be acceptable for a Computer Systems major.

You could think about a distributed networked application with pieces running on different computers. Think along the lines of networked multiplayer game.

A simulated lighting system would be cool?

No need for hardware - just use multiple PC's to simulate hardware.

QUOTE (LV_FPGA_SE @ Oct 10 2008, 05:08 AM)

I did that once as one of our demos when I wanted to draw people to our stand in a show. I wrote a simple tic-tac-toe implementation, so that when one player made a move, the move appeared on the other player's board. I then tweaked it and deployed it to a laptop, to a 15" touch screen PC and to one or two PDAs communicating over Wi-Fi, so that people could play each other with any combination of devices. The concept was to have something very simple that you could finish in about 20 seconds, but which would catch people's attention.