New Matrox 'smart' camera

I'm not a user of NI vision products, but I thought this announcement of a new camera using the Atom processor was interesting.

It appears to include some software that can be used for metrology. If the software is included or offered cheap, I wonder if this might affect NI products or pricing?

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS73...963.html?kc=rss

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE (Neville D @ Nov 19 2008, 12:40 PM)

I think its probably using VxWorks, since they have a lot of investment on platforms using that (cRIO/cFP?).

Either that or Pharlap ETS (from Ardence, ähem I mean IntervalZero). My guess would be VxWorks though since it is usually a bit more compact and their support is supposedly good (as is their price :rolleyes: , in this market you certainly get what you pay for).

Yet another LabVIEW targettable embedded OS would really not make much sense at all.

I don't think the Matrox cameras will have a big effect on the NI pricing. The strength of the NI cameras is that they can be easily targeted directly from within a LabVIEW project and their algorithme is simply programmed in LabVIEW too. It might be an issue for high volume projects though where the nice integration in LabVIEW is not as important as the total cost of the entire solution but I'm sure NI will certainly be open about volume discounts if you tell them you need 10000 of these nice gadgets :laugh: .

Rolf Kalbermatter