Change the VI History programmatically

QUOTE (JoergLee @ Jan 26 2009, 09:18 AM)

Hello,

does somebody know how I can change the VI History programmatically?

I like to write a message in all my VIs in a project programmatically with a seperate VI.

Sometimes I like to change older History too.

Is there a oportunity with some hidden settings or how does LabVIEW manage this?

Ciao Joerg

Hi,

You probably saw that there is a property called "History Text" but it is read-only..

You also have a method to "Clear History".

I don't think you can programmatically edit the revision history.. Sorry

I don't think you can this either, because it goes against the concept of the history. The point is to save a log of the changes which were made, not to be able to modify that log. If you want to trigger this automatically, you might be able to do it by setting the history to required when the VI is saved and then call the Save Instrument method on all the VIs, but I'm guessing this will simply pop-up a dialog for each of the VIs, which you would still need to update manually (e.g. by pasting your text).

The better option is probably to start using a source code control tool for handling versioning. Personally, I used to use the VI history feature in the past too, but using SCC is much easier after you get over the initial hurdle and has many advantages. We (like many others here) use Subversion and if you search for "SCC" or "Subversion" you will find many threads on this topic. In Subversion, you would commit many files together with a single comment for describing the change.