optimizing large number of XY graphs

pvanimpe

Dear all,

I'm writing a VI that reads several external sensors through my Agilent datalogger. All read data (14 variables + elapsed time) is gathered in an array which is written to a file. This will be used for long term testing, which makes it necessary to have continuous graphs of my data to check the evolution of the test. Sofar I have been using following method: get variable a en b from array, combine in a kind of buffer vi, create graph or combine with other graph.

The problem is: I need a lot of graphs. (all variables against time, but also several XY graphs of variable a against b...) which makes the above procedure a complete mess.

Is there a clean way (through sub vi's) that allows me to create a big number of graphs without getting lost in dozens of wires ?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

QUOTE (pvanimpe @ Feb 12 2009, 12:45 PM)

Do you need to have each of your variables in a separate graph ? Maybe you can group them all in the same graph.

If you have "groups" of variables (pressures, temperatures, etc.), maybe you don't need to see all the graph at the same time..

You could have a drop-down menu to select which group you display.

QUOTE (pvanimpe @ Feb 12 2009, 12:45 PM)

also several XY graphs of variable a against b...)

Is it fine if you have only one graph and one XY graph ?

You could do something like this :

post-7452-1234442536.png?width=400

Can you post your code or a screenshot of the part you'd like to modify ? That would make helping you easier.

Hope this helps

Hi Antoine,

Well, most of the variables are grouped. I have 3 time-charts (actually multipe XY plots as Dt is not constant : var 3,6,9,12 versus 0=time; var 4,7,10,13 versus time; var 4,8,11,14 versus time) and several single XY graphs ( var 3 versus 4, 7 versus 8, 10 versus 11, 13 versus 14...)

A drop down would anyway clean up the screen a bit, so that would be a good idea. I've attached a screenshot. 'Dissecting' my data array and linking to all those many graphs makes the wiring very complicated (and prone to errors).

Anyway thanks for the idea of the dropdown, this will go in anyway.

greetings,

Peter

post-14722-1234445916.jpg?width=400