Project Value

I was having a conversation on facebook with crelf regarding the project in LabVIEW.

Personally I only create a project at the end of projects to build exe, source code distributions, etc. Whenever I have tried to use it during development I throw my hands up in frustration. :throwpc:

The auto-populating thing really cheeses me. I creatle little test vi's all the time during development to test out ideas before I intigrate them in the main code. These show up in my project when they don't belong, and I have to go into the project to delete them.

My main complaint/misunderstanding is if I organize all my files properly on disk why do I need the project? What value does the project give me if I orgainize all my code and suporting documentation on disk?

I was first sold on the project environment when I started setting up my DAQ channels under the project environment. I make a lot of executables paired up with DAQ systems for machines on the floor and need everything in one place. I created a lot of executables in 7.1 but since then I think its 10x easier doing so now out of a project.

If you run a program from a project is runs in a separate LabVIEW instance. This means that you will not have naming conflicts with VIs from outside the Project.

For example, if you have a VI called X.vi in your project (A) which is different from another X.vi in a different VI (B) which is currently loaded in LabVIEW the differences are as follows:

Without a Project: You load the new VI (A) and instead of loading the correct X.vi, it links to the existing X.vi in memory (B). If youhappen to save the program now, you have a cross-reference.

With a Project: You load the new VI (A) and the correct X.vi is loaded into a separate application space to the other (B) X.vi. No cross-reference.

This fact alone is enough for me to use the project for basically everything I do in LabVIEW (Except Q&D trials).

Shane.

They are also a godsend when it comes to resolving cross linking issues. I too don't like the auto-populate but generally try to remember to turn this off. However I have found that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. I also like everything organized together. Since we use lots of reusable components it is easy to add them via virtual folders to the project and you have a one-stop shopping list for all of the VIs that are used. Since we reuse lots of our components they are not always located on in a single area in the file structure but the project helps to overlay that organization on an application.

Here are some of my thoughts on projects that I hope will help make a believer of you:

• One of the nice things about the project (in my opinion) is that all VIs are loaded into memory when a project is loaded. This helps ensure that there are no missing VIs, and it has saved me a lot of confusion more than a few times.
  • The project integrates nicely with source code control. You can see which VIs are checked out, or which ones haven't been added to SCC from the project window. Once again, this has saved me the pain of accidentally creating VIs and forgetting to submit them the SCC.
  • Auto-populating folders are not required. I personally use virtual folders instead.
  • If you ever decide to use native LabVIEW classes (and you should), then the project is pretty much required. The same goes for XControls, Shared Variables, and many more LabVIEW features that don't come to mind right now.

Chris M

QUOTE (ASTDan @ Mar 18 2009, 01:08 PM)

The auto-populating thing really cheeses me. I creatle little test vi's all the time during development to test out ideas before I intigrate them in the main code. These show up in my project when they don't belong, and I have to go into the project to delete them.

Well, don't autopopulate folders if that annoys you. I usually put the Test VI's under a Test or Experimental folder and leave them in the project, until I absolutely do not need them for whatever reason.

Avoiding cross-linking and ability to work with different RT targets are big advantages to going with Projects.

Neville.