I will be at DevDays in Portland and Seattle next week

The NI Developer Days 2009 conferences are going on in various places around the country. This is one of the few events each year where R&D folks from NI get a chance to meet customers other than NI Week. I will be traveling next week to the Portlant, OR, event on Tuesday and the Seattle, WA, event on Thursday. You can still sign up to attend the events if you are interested:

http://www.ni.com/devday/

DevDays are targeted to customers who are know LabVIEW and are interested in stretching their skills a bit. Each one has a slightly different series of presentations depending upon the interests of customers in the area and the areas of expertise for the R&D staff attending the event. For Portland and Seattle, I've circled the presentations I'll be giving:

post-5877-1239202945.png?width=400

I'm going to the one in Cincinnati. Maybe you can come do the LV Design Pattern Class over here? Sort of a side note, is there a place where we can get the seminar contents? For instance, the Intermediate track in Cincy has "Putting LabVIEW File I/O to the Test". What exactly is that going to be about? Two hours of showing the LV file I/O is just as fast a C?

Anyways, the recert for the CLAD is the main reason I'm going. I think I'm going to try to hit the CLD prep course too.

I went to the one in Austin a month or more ago. The presentations are available here: LINK.

As the sole LabVIEW developer at my company, it was nice to meet some others in the area. I didn't see that advanced was any more advanced than intermediate, they just covered different topics. I attended one intermediate and one advanced topic. The opportunity to get my CLAD for free was quite welcome, and it was also a good opportunity to ask R&D some specific questions without having to wait for forum replies. I would imagine the keynote will vary depending on location, but John Pasquarette (http://pasquarette.wordpress.com/) gave an informative talk, and asked for a lot of feedback from the users.

In all, it was well worth my time. Oh, and did I mention free lunch?

QUOTE (JustinReina @ Apr 8 2009, 12:29 PM)
I will be attending the Seattle event. What topics are going to be covered in the 'architectures' lecture?
Hypocrisy, guilt and tedium, and tools that NI provides for reducing all three of these. Specifically, we will be discussing practices that all of us software engineers should (generally) be doing on every project (to varying degrees depending upon business need and risk profile), including architecture planning, documentation and testing. We will discuss the lip service we all (myself included) are tempted to pay to these practices, the guilt that we can feel at knowing we're not doing them right and admitting to ourselves that a large part of why they're not done is that they are mind-numbing and tedious. And, so that we don't all leave feeling depressed, we're going to talk about a number of NI and third-party tools that can be used to decrease the pain involved so that these tasks (necessary and ultimately beneficial to ourselves, not just other programmers on our teams) can become part of our regular workflow and let us get back to the sexy part of our jobs -- connecting generally rectangular graphics together with pretty vertical and horizontal lines... man, that sounds so much cooler when Marketing says it... something about "designing algorithms that support business, science and engineering and change the world." Yeah, that's what I meant. ;-)

Good sessions. Thanks for taking the time to come visit us up here and share your wisdom. I am already bugging my boss about putting more time into software quality efforts. Wish he could have attended the session.

-John

ps. I still want my mouse wheel to work in the string control!

• 3 weeks later...

I found this DevDays much more relevant than the last two I attended, which seemed to be geared more towards beginning users. It was nice to get to discuss intermediate/advanced topics.

As a side note, maybe at the next DevDays I'll make a LAVA flag and lay claim one of the tables.

QUOTE (Daklu @ May 3 2009, 11:45 PM)

As a side note, maybe at the next DevDays I'll make a LAVA flag and lay claim one of the tables.

I like that idea. :thumbup: I was scanning name tags at the Seattle Dev Day to see if I recognized anyone.