[CR] Improved LV 2009 icon editor

New Version available:

Version 1.4:

• [Cosmetic Change] Major redesign of the layer control visual aspect.
  • [bug Fix] The text marker (^) is hidden behind other objects.
  • [bug Fix] CAR 182992 File save (template or glyph) failed if the hierarchy has folder with a dot in its name.
  • [bug Fix] Flush glyph filter when changing glyph category.
  • [New Feature] Glyph filter works only on the visible category and does not reset the category to all anymore.

Get if here.

PJM

New Version available:

Version 1.5:

• [New Feature] Add a "Merge All User Layers" button.
  • [New Feature] Optimize glyph display by removing unnecessary blank space between glyphs (went from 6x6 grid to 8x8 grid).
  • [New Feature] Automatically update the "glyph path string" as the mouse move over the glyphs.
  • [bug fix] Car 183609: Glyph path string is not reset when a glyph is dropped (or when a new category is selected).
  • [bug Fix] Scrolling the glyph array should not update the glyph path string.
  • [bug Fix] "Glyph path string" should not be click-able (disable it).
  • [Change/ Bug Fix] Picking white color (255,255,255) result in grayish(246,246,246) color selected. Now the resulting color is (254,254,254).

Get it here.

PJM

Quick question: Could you add to the downloads a link to the original icon editor in case people want to uninstall your version?

The original icon editor is property of NI so we can't (and shouldn't) host it here, and I don't think a page exists where you can download it separately from the LabVIEW install.

I think that if you uninstall it, VIPM restores the old version. I think that's how PJM_labview built the package.

Yes, version 1.2 or greater of the installer automatically backup the existing icon editor prior to installing the new one (uninstalling it will restore the backup version).

Note: If you already have modified the existing icon editor then the modified icon editor will be backup.

This is part of the release note, but I will make that more obvious.

Theoriginal icon editor is property of NI so we can't (and shouldn't) hostit here, and I don't think a page exists where you can download itseparately from the LabVIEW install.

According to NI (on the Enhanced Icon Editor group): "The Icon Editor is 99.9% open source."

post-121-125133027545_thumb.png

What this mean exactly I am not entirely sure (since no license is attached to this statement).

PJM

It's certainly impressive from a technical standpoint

Although I personally feel that the tabs do make sense for the IE (you go through the tabs in order) and I'm not generally a fan of how palettes work in graphics software, I do feel that the modifications you made do kind of work in the IE as well. They certainly don't seem to get in the way of accomplishing the task. The cusomizing options are a good thing.

Cool. How did you do that?

I like it but would suggest you have the pallets 'snap' to a grid of some sort so we don't have to nudge then around. Or, let us lay them out and then choose a menu item to 'snap and align' them.

Where can I get a job playing around with LabVIEW GUI stuff all day and still get paid? :lol:

...and how much are you going to sell this to NI for? :)

I was not planning to, but now that you mention it...

It's certainly impressive from a technical standpoint

It is actually pretty easy to get that behavior.

Cool. How did you do that?

Pretty easily using the control mouse down and mouse up along with pane mouse move. See here for a bit more info (although this outline a performance issue).

I think the UI "runtime reorganization capabilities" did mask some UI design concern that I have. For instance the current icon editor use a tree control to select the glyph category or template category. I replaced it by a ring control. Any comments about that?

Any other usability comments with this new design?

PJM

Suggested improvement from yenknip on the LabVIEW Idea Exchange:

Having now gotten used to the new icon editer, it is a fantastic improvement on the old one: templates and layers are awesome.

I do however miss the line tool + shift key drawing a 45 degree line.

Also, I think that a user-configurable 'development colour' for the transparent colour might be useful. I find the white and grey checkered pattern doesn't stand out much - if I could set it as some garish luminous colour then I could see what is transparent as I draw the icon.

This development transparent colour might even be stretched to the front panel colours - if one uses an old style cluster box or similar with a transparent border and fill (for aesthetic reasons) then it can be a little trickey to find the border to drag it around. (This might be better suited to a new idea if anyone agrees)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a bit of a strange thing happening (just in case it's the culprit, I'm on Vista Business)...

If I open up a VI's icon, copy a selection, go straight to another VI and try edit it's icon (to paste the copied selection), I end up with the wrong icon in the editor:

http://screencast.com/t/l8LZAe8Ee

When I open the icon of the second VI, there is a very brief moment where the correct icon is shown before it is replaced with the previous VI's icon. Its also worth noting that clicking OK causes the previous VI's icon to be applied to the current VI, and that I do not get as far as Edit->Paste on the second icon.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shaun

PS. X-Post to NI Icon Editor discussion as this seems to happen with both this and the regular NI icon editor: http://decibel.ni.com/content/message/8079#8079

Bug: Show Terminals checkbox does not update.

If I use Ctl-T or the Edit menu to show/hide the terminals, the checkbox under the canvas does not get updated. Clicking the checkbox still toggles the terminal view so it ends up being out of synch.

-------------------------

UI Suggestions:

-On the Layers tab the control box is centered in the pane with lots of whitespace around it. You could fit at least one more layer in there, maybe two. Less scrolling = better.

-On the Layers tab move the active controls to the left side of the tab. Most of the user's mousing will be on the left side of the editor. It pays to not make them move the mouse long distances.

-------------------------

Functionality Suggestions:

-Hotkeys to switch between tools? (Bonus points for user-definable hotkeys!)

-Lockable user layers?

Bug: Show Terminals checkbox does not update.

If I use Ctl-T or the Edit menu to show/hide the terminals, the checkbox under the canvas does not get updated. Clicking the checkbox still toggles the terminal view so it ends up being out of synch.

Good Catch, I will put that on my list.

UI Suggestions:

-Onthe Layers tab the control box is centered in the pane with lots ofwhitespace around it. You could fit at least one more layer in there,maybe two. Less scrolling = better.

Ya, I though so do, but the way the layer are implemented (each layer is a cluster and there are a fix amount [meaning this is actually not an array]) this will require quite a bit of work.

UI Suggestions:

-On the Layers tab move theactive controls to the left side of the tab. Most of the user'smousing will be on the left side of the editor. It pays to not makethem move the mouse long distances.

You mean the move, delete, create ... layer buttons?

-Hotkeys to switch between tools? (Bonus points for user-definable hotkeys!)

Interesting idea.

-Lockable user layers?

Good idea too.

PJM