[CR] Mark Balla's Icon Editor V2.7>= LV2017

Mark Balla's Icon Editor V2.7>= LV2017

Mark Balla Icon editor V2.7
December 2020
Author: Mark Balla

Description:
This is a text based vi icon editor 

The purpose is to help quickly create text base icons.
The editor can be used in place of the standard NI icon editor or as a stand alone vi. see instructions.

Version 2.7
Updated font table to recognize the standard "Small Font" letters used by the NI icon editor. This will improve the OCR function when importing icons generated by the NI Icon editor.

Version 2.6
Added quick drop code to allow the user to switch between NI and custom editor.
QD_Swap Icon Editor.vi and support folders will be placed in the LabVIEW quick drop folder
..\National Instruments\LabVIEW 20XX\resource\dialog\QuickDrop

To switch LabVIEW to a custom icon editor that uses the lv_icon.vi set a shortcut key to call the QD_Swap Icon Editor.vi. Ctrl-Space Ctrl-<<assigned letter key>>

To switch LabVIEW to the NI icon editor that uses the lv_icon.lvlibp use the same shortcut key with the Shift key
Ctrl-Space Ctrl-Shift-<<assigned letter key>>

Version 2.5
Fixed install bug where lv_icon.lvlibp was not being renamed after LV 2016
2.5 was set to 2017 or later.

Instructions:

LV 2017 to LV2020 + Ver 2.7 +

LV 2010 to LV 2016 Ver 2.4

Install using JKI VI Package Manager

LV 2009 Ver 2.3

1:Rename the curret LabVIEW 2009 Icon editor LabVIEW 2009\resource\plugins\lv_Icon.vi to a different name so it will not be overwritten.

2: Place the three files (lv_icon.vi, color templates.bin and the folder lv_icon_Subvis) in the LabVIEW 2009\resource\plugins directory.
The next time the icon editor is called LabVIEW will use the lv_icon.vi instead of the standard one.
There is a button on the editor that will allow you to use NI's editor (Old editor not the new one) when a text icon is not desired.

For LabVIEW 8.2 Use the "MB Icon Editor_V2.3_LV82.zip" file
For LabVIEW 8.5 Use the "MB Icon Editor_V2.3_LV85.zip" file
For LabVIEW 8.6 Use The "MB Icon Editor_V2.3_LV8.6.zip" file

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    10/19/2009
  • Category
  • LabVIEW Version
  • License Type
    BSD (Most common)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks for the program. I have been using it for the last couple of days and have found it very productive. One suggestion for the next version would be able to add a library of standard icons that you could select from. The history of icons serves that purpose now but it would be great to be able to edit and control what is shows up there.

John

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Currently the "Open NI Icon Editor" button launches the old NI Icon Editor. Is there a way to launch the new NI Icon Editor instead?

Currently all my editor has to do is generate an error and the old ni edito comes up.To call the new ni editor you would need to change the code to dynamically call it and close down mine.

Currently all my editor has to do is generate an error and the old ni edito comes up.To call the new ni editor you would need to change the code to dynamically call it and close down mine.

Hi guys,

I downloaded the Mark's excellent Icon Editor a while back, and don't remember what slight changes I made, but in my case, clicking on the "NI Icon Editor" button calls the NEW NI Icon Editor. I really hate it, so I just press the ABORT button on Mark's Icon Editor, and that calls up the OLD NI Editor, in the few cases I need to modify an icon to keep the pictures previously set.

As an aside, Mark it would be great if you could add a feature where, you could edit the Icon History to delete some icons. The use case for this is: say you build an icon, and plonk down the VI on a block diagram, now you find the icon is hard to read because of the colours chosen, I frequently go in and adjust (lighten) the colours a bit, and use that. But the icon history now has two versions of the same colour scheme, each slightly different, and can trip you up if you re-use the wrong one the next time around.

Neville.

• 2 months later...

Any tips on getting this Icon Editor to work in LabVIEW 2011?

From NI's Website, it is not possible yet:

I'm also a fan of this editor (though I wish its text abilities were used in the default editor). It is possible to get this working in LV 2011 -- you just need to delete/rename the lv_icon.lvlibp file in the resource\plugins directory, which now contains the lv_icon.vi file.

It would certainly be nice if there was an easy way to swap between editors while editing an icon.

I'm also a fan of this editor (though I wish its text abilities were used in the default editor). It is possible to get this working in LV 2011 -- you just need to delete/rename the lv_icon.lvlibp file in the resource\plugins directory, which now contains the lv_icon.vi file.

It would certainly be nice if there was an easy way to swap between editors while editing an icon.

FYI, this will break the class "Create Accessor" dialog. Right-click on a class -> New -> "VI for Data Member Access..."

I think the problem is that doing so breaks the Create Accessor dialog for classes. But Brian has not replied with how to get other icon editors to work without breaking this. My guess is that NI will need to provide an unlocked lv_icon.lvlib (not .lvlibp) which any alternative editors would need to be programmed into. It does make the whole thing less straight-forward than it used to be.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...