About This File
An extensive library for passing messages between parallel processes. Generalizes the communication method, allowing the message sender to use the method provided by the receiver. Supported communication methods include wrappings of simple queues, user events, and notifiers, as well a more complex channels such as a TCP server and client. In addition, one can configure simple forwarding addresses (“Observers"), which can send messages to multiple destinations, optionally with modifications such as adding a prefix to the message label, relabelling, or substituting a different message.
Communication patterns supported include request-reply (asynchronous or synchronous), where the reply is sent to a "reply address" attached to the request, and register-notify, where one process sends a registration message to another in order to subscribe to a series of updates. Also supports scatter-gather, the gathering of replies from multiple senders into an array of messages.
An option framework for dynamically-launched VI "actors" is also provided, including example templates, which can be accessed via the Tools menu (from an open Project, select Tools>>Messenger Library>>Create Actor from Template..). An "Actor Manager" debug tool is also installed under the Tools menu. Please note that this package has nothing directly to do with the NI Actor Framework (other than both packages are influenced by the Actor Model).
***Introductory Videos are on a YouTube channel.***
***NOTE: latest versions require VIPM 2017 or later to install.***
What's New in Version 1.10.6 See changelog
- *"Startup Parameters" Variant added to "Launch Actor"
- *Used to impliment preregistration messages in DEV template (Issue 13: to register for error in "Self: Initialize)
- *Fix issue 14: Observer Registry not dropping dead addresses
- *Better Error info in Query Timeouts
- *Timeout Watchdog, to react to failure of something to happen
- *Issue 9: modified way of launching Non-Reentrant Actors to reduce issue
- *"Busy" Async Dialog (Beta; off palette)
- *Fix issues with Cancellable Observer (Issue 18)