Testimony

After a decade of programming LabVIEW, I have to admit I still get bitten by stupid mistakes.

Today's mistake is one I'd like to share because it's so simple and yet, I had to take a long lunch break to clear my head before I finally nailed it.

post-10515-127619029281_thumb.png

In the pic above, I simply give the user a list of available ports and lines for a selected DAQmx device. The user selects one or multiple lines and I pass it down to create a task.

post-10515-127619016856_thumb.png

And this is the solution: Using the Array to spreadsheet primitive adds a end of line at the end, which was carried an couldn't be filtered later down the road by DAQmx "Create Virtual Channel.vi".

I hope to save you some pain by sharing my misfortune!

• Like 1

After a decade of programming LabVIEW, I have to admit I still get bitten by stupid mistakes.

Today's mistake is one I'd like to share because it's so simple and yet, I had to take a long lunch break to clear my head before I finally nailed it.

post-10515-127619029281_thumb.png

In the pic above, I simply give the user a list of available ports and lines for a selected DAQmx device. The user selects one or multiple lines and I pass it down to create a task.

post-10515-127619016856_thumb.png

And this is the solution: Using the Array to spreadsheet primitive adds a end of line at the end, which was carried an couldn't be filtered later down the road by DAQmx "Create Virtual Channel.vi".

I hope to save you some pain by sharing my misfortune!

What threw me for a loop was turning a string into a DAQmx channel (purple wire). Did not think to just try wiring the string and let LV do the conversion. NI Support was also at a loss.

Ben

It's not a stupid mistake - I think it's a bug that teh Array to spreadsheet primitive adds a line at the end.

You think it's a bug?

It's been adding a line at the end since I can remember. Or has it?

I can't find conclusively information about if EOL is a standard termination for spreadsheet formats...

What threw me for a loop was turning a string into a DAQmx channel (purple wire). Did not think to just try wiring the string and let LV do the conversion. NI Support was also at a loss.

Ben

Yes, I tried to connect the string directly and it didn't change a thing.

I think there's a slight no difference between string and DAQmx channel/task/whatever, something I've seen only when using variants to propagate them tells me it's a XControl with string state.

HEX Display is the same when you cast it to string.

Talk about coincidences... this VI will do it for me.

You think it's a bug?

It's been adding a line at the end since I can remember. Or has it?

I've been stripping the EOL off the end of the last line of spreadsheets for what seems like forever. Whether or not it's a bug, it certainly is annoying.

I've been stripping the EOL off the end of the last line of spreadsheets for what seems like forever. Whether or not it's a bug, it certainly is annoying.

Annoying it is, but I don't think that's gonna be changed. Let's think of how it might affect appending to text file.

Or simply use the OpenG 1D Array to String VI, which I believe works around this issue.

Indeed it does. OpenG to the rescue (as usual).

post-10515-127625781462.png

Annoying it is, but I don't think that's gonna be changed. Let's think of how it might affect appending to text file.

No no! I agree completely! I'm sure changing it now would result in a lot of broken code.

I've got the primitive wrapped in a vi with a switch to delete the last EOL if necessary. I wrote that after being bitten a couple times by it just like François was.