Allow Text Files in LAVA CR Uploads

I thought I would post this here rather than LAVA CR as it a technical request as opposed to a discussion on code.

Now that we have the ability to upload multiple deliverables, would it be possible to allow text files to be uploaded too?

The reason being I would like to include a text file with a checksum in it, for the package.

I have included this in the zip file but I thought it may be handy if someone just wants the package version and the checksum, rather than download the zip?

(I guess I can always just post it up)

Thoughts?

Cheers

-JG

Maybe it's just me, but I never really understood the point of these hashes - if someone has the permission to replace the file, wouldn't they also have the permission to replace the hash with one which matches the new file?

I guess you could be right, but it could be more the point of checking that your download is ok (from a transfer point of view rather than security)?

Anyways, there might be other reasons for allowing text files besides my example, so I was curious to see what others think.

I guess you could be right, but it could be more the point of checking that your download is ok (from a transfer point of view rather than security)?

Anyways, there might be other reasons for allowing text files besides my example, so I was curious to see what others think.

Zip files have a checksum built in. You get warnings/failures if the file is corrupt and you try to extract. Most text files are MD5 hashes which is more of a test of trust than corruption - to ensure the file downloaded IS ithe file you are expecting..

Zip files have a checksum built in. You get warnings/failures if the file is corrupt and you try to extract.

Yes, but I am not talking about the .zip file I am talking about the .ogp file - which is .zip but not extracted in the traditional sense.

Maybe it's just me, but I never really understood the point of these hashes - if someone has the permission to replace the file, wouldn't they also have the permission to replace the hash with one which matches the new file?

Typically the hash is posted on the author's website. Somebody changing the source code can't change the hash on the website, so by checking the hash of the download against the hash shown on the website you can make sure the binary is identical.

I'm not sure there's any value in including the hash as part of the download. I don't think I've ever had a download end up corrupted.