Nested groups in TDMS?

No, there is only the three levels you mentioned, File >> Group >> Channel. I'd be curious about your situation where you have subgroups. I have been using TDMS in the following way and don't need more than these 3 levels.

I usually have a file for each UUT tested. The File properties are the UUTs specific information, then I usually only have 2 or 3 groups, one for test data, one for debug data, and some times one for extra data that goes along with the test that the user doesn't care about. Then in each group I have channels of data that are important to that group.

One thing that always helped me visualize it is the Excel viewer for TDMS. This makes each group a workbook, with each channel being a column, and each sample having a row. So you asking for subgroups to me is like asking for a 4D Excel file.

Hello there,

I was wondering whether tdms is restricted to file->group->channel or whether it is possible to nest groups - ie file->group>subgroup->channel.

Thank you,

Martin

As others have posted no. I have played around with using abusing the attributes to extend the grouping. But of course I have to maintain the code to do so.

Ben